Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chocolate can stave off Alzheimers via improved cerebral blood flow

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
  2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I consume CocoaVia daily and do think it helps mildly with age-related cognitive decline (I'm 54). Wish I had started earlier.

My major cognitive decline, however, has not been gradual. It has been episodic, coinciding with significant worsening of my ME/CFS symptoms. Roughly ages 16-17, 21-22, 25-26, 29-30, 38-39, 44-45, 50-51.

After each episode, some of my cognitive function comes back, but some remains permanently lost. It's rather distressing to think about how much of me is missing. I'll do whatever I can to preserve what is left.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    MeSci and Alvin2 like this.
  3. bombsh3ll

bombsh3ll Senior Member

Not getting my hopes up but it sure beats fish oil capsules! I feel my biggest problem is poor blood supply to the brain. I hadn't heard of CocoaVia but am always interested in things that might help. I think you would have to eat an awful lot of chocolate to get any real results!

4. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

3 weeks into my diet and you tell me this!

Skycloud, TiredSam, Marco and 3 others like this.
  5. Tally

Tally Senior Member

If you eat reasonable amounts of chocolate that's over 80% cocoa content, it won't mess with your diet.

Mrs Sowester likes this.
  6. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

I only read the abstract but my take is this is a piece of a puzzle and we don't even know if its the right puzzle.

An example, a study found Vitamin K2 restores energy in an animal model of Parkinsons. Sounds promising, until you understand that its an example of the streetlight effect, the animal model is not identical to the human model hence the results are probably useless. The predominating theory is its caused by alpha synuclein buildup killing brain cells, possibly mediated by the ABL1 protein. Extra energy appears to have little effect on this, yet the animal model showed excellent results on a different mechanism.
    Translated, if Alzheimers is caused by amyloid or tau proteins causing brain cell death then increasing blood flow probably has little effect on this. It would be like saying you cured a cold by taking cough medicine. Its your immune system that actually defeats the cold.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Marco likes this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Actually, I am at risk for early onset familial Alzheimer's. But since I didn't start forgetting the names of family members in my 40's like my grandmother did, I'm probably in the clear. :eek:

sarah darwins likes this.
  8. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

You can stay on your diet!

A packet of unsweetened CocoaVia is only 25 calories. The powder is bitter, however.

Skycloud likes this.
  9. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

This was in people who were otherwise healthy, or at least did not have ME/CFS. I wonder if cocoa would overcome the additional problems with blood flow to the brain that we have? That doesn't keep me from eating a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate/day.

sarah darwins and Marco like this.
  11. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

This is the sort of thing it would really be nice to have a simple 'at-home-clinical trial' type thing.
    There are several thousand supplements and 'generally recognised as safe' food ingredients.
    Some subset of these have at least plausible effects on CFS.

100 people taking for a week and recording their fatigue level daily for pills that contain cocoa powder, or placebo, or ... would generate usable data if the effect was worthy of further investigation.

See more popular forum discussions.