• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chlorella / Spirulina Reaction anybody ?

I have been taking 2 tablets of Chlorella and 2 of Spirulina a day. I have had really sore muscles and bones to the point that even my intestines were aching. I can only assume that it must be the chlorella and spirulina. I stopped it on Sunday and the muscle pains and aches seem to have improved about 80% anybody else get this type of reaction from these supplements - i know it is supposed to cause a detox but this was ridiculous. Thanks

Hanna

I tried chlorella two months ago and had a bad reaction to it. First day, took 2 without major problem. But on day 2 I felt completelely exhausted and poisoned with just six units. As I am very food and chemical sensitive I prefered to stop the experiment before getting once more to the hospital.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I don't think side effects like these are de-tox its more like the body reacting violently to something it doesn't want in the body, its only now I realise there is a vast difference. All of us take a massive amount of supplements in our search to get better, think you have to really listen to your body and try to understand what any reaction means.

Maybe if you decide to try it again just try one at a time? Had no severe reaction taking both at the same time myself.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I had the same reaction to chlorella, just like Hanna I felt exhausted and poisoned. And like maryb, it definitely felt like something my body didn't want it in, NOT a detox in progress. I persisted for far too long, stupidly, and ended up for a week so weak I was effectively paralysed.
I did a lot of internet research after this and found one website claiming about one third of people who try chlorella get this adverse reaction to it. I don't know how reliable that statistic was.

L'engle

moogle
I haven't tried chlorella but I do take spirulina. I haven't noticed any dramatically bad reaction to it. Maybe it's an easier option on its own, than with chlorella?

chilove

I don't tolerate spirulina very well. It gives me the same symptoms that I get when eat any high protein food though.. I thought it was the higher protein levels in it in my case. I've never tried chlorella.