• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chlamedia Phnemoniae and Coxsackie

Hi

After much illness and lots of different testing, I have found to have recent and chronic infections to Chlamedia pneumoniae (Cpn) and Coxsackie. I'm relieved to have found something as whatever it is had affected my heart, thyroid, liver, eyes, skin, lymph nodes etc etc. As anyone found improvement with treating these? I have read the Cpn Is a treatable cause of ME/CFS. But I don't know if that's right.

My doctor has agreed to me starting a pulsed antibiotic protocol for the chlamedia pneumoniae. I just wanted to ask if it's important to treat the coxsackie as well? Can anyone suggest treatment for Coxsackie?

At this stage I don't know which is causing the most disability but the highest titres were with pneumoniae

Any help would be really appreciated.

K

Last edited:

duncan

@Katyw, you may wish to consider moving this to a different subforum instead of Lyme, since it's not Lyme you're asking about, and since Lyme stuff sometimes just gets seen by Lyme people. Maybe General ME/CFS Discussion?

Hip

Can anyone suggest treatment for Coxsackie?

Oxymatrine is more or less the only viable treatment option for coxsackievirus B. You'll find plenty of threads and articles on this forum about oxymatrine.

By the way, Chlamydia pneumoniae is the correct spelling. Thread titles can be edited using "Thread Tools" towards the top right of page.

@Katyw, you may wish to consider moving this to a different subforum instead of Lyme, since it's not Lyme you're asking about, and since Lyme stuff sometimes just gets seen by Lyme people. Maybe General ME/CFS Discussion?

@duncan Thank you for the reply. Yes, maybe it would be better to move it. It's so confusing as I feel I sit in between two camps. These are apparently co infections. But then they see implicated in ME.

@Hip Thank you. Apologies for the spelling- my mind was on pneumonia as I had just been reading about 'walking pneumonia'. I will edit the spellings. I have read a little bit about Oxymatrine. Do you know if it can be taken with antibiotics?

Hip

I have read a little bit about Oxymatrine. Do you know if it can be taken with antibiotics?

As far as I am aware, there are no contraindications about taking both at the same time.

That advantage of treating Chlamydia pneumoniae first though would be that if you did improve, then that would provide a good indication that at least some of your symptoms were due to Cpn.

On the other hand, I can understand that people might also want to try to attain improvements as quickly as possible. I suggest though to start on the Cpn treatment first for at least a month, observing any symptom improvements or side effects, before trying oxymatrine.

With oxymatrine, people who respond well to this immunomodulator often feel worse for a few weeks before they feel better, so this can be a little confusing. Oxymatrine is best avoided though if you have any autoimmune tendencies.

Here are some threads and articles on oxymatrine:

Oxymatrine

Dr. Chia On Oxymatrine, Autoimmunity, ME/CFS and FM

Dr John Chia's 2010 Invest in ME conference lecture, where talks about his oxymatrine treatment

What are the commonly available immune modulators?

As far as I am aware, there are no contraindications about taking both at the same time.

That advantage of treating Chlamydia pneumoniae first though would be that if you did improve, then that would provide a good indication that at least some of your symptoms were due to Cpn.

On the other hand, I can understand that people might also want to try to attain improvements as quickly as possible. I suggest though to start on the Cpn treatment first for at least a month, observing any symptom improvements or side effects, before trying oxymatrine.

With oxymatrine, people who respond well to this immunomodulator often feel worse for a few weeks before they feel better, so this can be a little confusing. Oxymatrine is best avoided though if you have any autoimmune tendencies.

Here are some threads and articles on oxymatrine:

Oxymatrine

Dr. Chia On Oxymatrine, Autoimmunity, ME/CFS and FM

Dr John Chia's 2010 Invest in ME conference lecture, where talks about his oxymatrine treatment

What are the commonly available immune modulators?

Thank you @Hip. I appreciate your reply.

That's a really good way of looking at things. I may just start with the Cpn treatment first as it would be a good indicator to what symptoms it helps.

In relation to oxymatrine. That's where I'm not sure what to do. What are classed as auto immune tendencies? I have high inflammatory markers and am in LDN for inflammation. I've been told that Cpn can mimic autoimmune symptoms but I'm not sure what. My main systems are face/head pain, swollen/painful glands, POTS, hypothyroidism and hormonal issues. They could be considered viral. It's all very confusing

Hip

What are classed as auto immune tendencies?

This paragraph explains it:

Autoimmunity and Oxymatrine: (Dr. Chia suggested that patients with autoimmune tendencies should not take Oxymatrine. ) Autoimmune tendency means a strong family history of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, autoimmune thyroiditis (especially Grave’s disease), multiple sclerosis, and if the patients have joint pain with positive rheumatoid factor and persistently positive ANA.

Source: Dr. Chia On Oxymatrine, Autoimmunity, ME/CFS and FM

This paragraph explains it:

Thanks very much @Hip

Well I'm not sure now as my dad as reactive arthritis and I have hypothyroidism which was borderline hashimotos. I guess the only thing is to try it and see if it helps. I will try Cpn treatment first though :)

Hip

@Katyw
The risk of taking oxymatrine when you have autoimmune tendencies is that there is a small chance of developing an autoimmune condition such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Out of around 500 patients I think (can't remember the exact figure) that Dr Chia treated with oxymatrine, a couple developed RA. So now he does not give oxymatrine to those with autoimmune tendencies. My mother has Sjogren's, but I still decided to try oxymatrine for my coxsackievirus B, although I guess it was a little risky. I did not develop any autoimmune disease, but unfortunately neither did I benefit from oxymatrine. But only around 50% get benefits, according to Dr Chia.

@Katyw
The risk of taking oxymatrine when you have autoimmune tendencies is that there is a small chance of developing an autoimmune condition such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Out of around 500 patients I think (can't remember the exact figure) that Dr Chia treated with oxymatrine, a couple developed RA. So now he does not give oxymatrine to those with autoimmune tendencies. My mother has Sjogren's, but I still decided to try oxymatrine for my coxsackievirus B, although I guess it was a little risky. I did not develop any autoimmune disease, but unfortunately neither did I benefit from oxymatrine. But only around 50% get benefits, according to Dr Chia.
@Hip Thanks for all that information-its helped me a lot