• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chitin inhibitors and Candida

Tiger Lily 813

Hi all,
Has anyone had success with taking Chitin inhibitors to decrease Candida?
I go to a holistic doctor that feels Candida/biofilms are responsible for much of my turmoil.
I don't think that's the whole issue, but I want to do everything I can to help! I do the diet (although it is hard when digestion is compromised, to be digesting all of these non-carbs), I take a lot of natural antifungals, Nystatin powder, probiotics.
He really recommends these Chitin inhibitors and I wanted to know if anyone here has tried it out, or has truly beat Candida in other ways?
Thank you kindly : )

leela

I did two rounds of Lufenuron and I believe it helped, but I also took diflucan between the two rounds as well as A-Fung.

The best I can tell you is that it felt friendly to me, and I feel it as an ally.
One thing though: I forgot during the final two week period in which it is being released from the tissues and ate some raw saurkraut I had been fine with before and had a very strong reaction to it. So I'd stay away from any fungal/yeasty foods for a while after just to be sure.

I also found that the brain fog from the die off (which was significant) was abated nicely by supplementing with molybdenum, and I took milkthistle due to the diflucan but I think it is nice to protect the liver anyway when asking it to cleanse for you.

Gestalt

I took Lufenuron and Diflucan back to back, and it did nothing. Then I took resistant starch and everything changed.

Gestalt

Just updated my website post:
The leading cause of Canddia appears to be none other than antibiotics. When a person takes antibiotics with the intent to kill "bad" bacteria it has the unintended consequence of creating collateral damage at a mass extinction level wiping out countless "good" guys as well. When the good guys are temporarily removed it can create the ideal condition for candida to thrive. The friendly bacteria presence are what create ecological conditions in your gut such that Candida can't grow in the first place. They do this primarily by lowering the ph of the stomach and intestine which makes the environment slightly more acidic. In an acidic environment candida will switch from its pathogenic hyphal form into it's non-dangerous unicellular form. (reference)

Every person has candida in them along with E.coli and many other potentially pathogenic microbes. Thus it is impossible to totally kill every last candida cell. The difference however is the degree of proliferation and this is mediated by the ecology of the entire gut biome.

When a person take antibiotics it causes major shifts in the gut biome. Antibiotics are specifically designed to kill bacteria NOT fungi. Thus when taking antibiotics the bacterial competition is eliminated and fungi such as candida has the opportunity to thrive. This is well known in Russia where doctors often give anti-fungals along side antibiotics in hopes of preventing a fungal overgrowth. Sadly western doctors don't do this as a standard practice when merrily giving out antibiotics.

As a n=1 personal anecdote I struggled to eliminate candida using the many strategies on this page. While they all worked to some degree the greatest step forward I found was using Resistant Starch(click) as a powerful prebiotic. What RS does is create a radical beneficial transition back to a more healthy ecology where it feeds and cross-feeds many beneficial bacteria (bifido and Lactobacillus) that produce beneficial acidic compounds such as lactic acid, acetic acid butyric acid and propionic acid. These acids serve many beneficial purposes such as helping digest your food and providing energy to the intestinal cells. They also help tighten up the junctures in the intestinal lining preventing leaky gut. They also commensurately feed the good guys which then will outright kill candida for you.

It is said the best defense is a good offense and this could be no more true than here. Many people while having initial success with anti-fungals or various other anti-candida strategies will often relapse because they simply are not feeding the good guys adequately. This is why int the last year the re-newly discovered prebiotic compound Resistant Starch has become perhaps the most powerful way to combat candida permanently.

leela

Do you take it as cooked cold potato, or potato starch, or how? I don't do well with potatoes. I admit I haven't read extensivley on the subject though.:redface: