1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chimerix, an anti viral which if approved could be used for CFS, is in publicity storm

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Fuschia, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Fuschia

Fuschia

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/11/health/josh-hardy-drug-study/

A kid with a suppressed immune system and a life threatening adenovirus has been granted a compassionate use treatment with chimerix. The company that makes the drug was initially arguing that granting it could slow its FDA approval process, anyone know how true this is? Also, any implications for Rituximab, or is it only in cases where the disease is life threatening?

Valentijn, heapsreal and natasa778 like this.
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

do you mean the drug cmx001?

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's not just life threatening ... it's when the person IS going to die.

The problem is that while the drug might save the patient, odds are still very much that they'll die. And the drug developer has to report that when seeking approval, which can result in a delay or refusal of approval. Basically the FDA allows the drug to be used in circumstances like these, but then punishes the drug company for agreeing to let the patient use the drug.

searcher, Hip and Fuschia like this.
  4. Fuschia

Fuschia

The kid had cancer of the kidneys apparently. One of the biggest things they were worried about with CMX 001 was the potential for kidney damage, I can see why the company were leery about having him in their trial. Absolutely, within reason, the FDA should allow compassionate use treatment without requiring the patient to be part of a trial. If someone is willing to take that chance, and there's almost a certainty of death otherwise, what is there to lose?

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Fortunately the latest news is that the kid is beating the viral infection which was killing him and it should be entirely gone soon. It sounds like the unapproved drug used isn't one known to cause kidney damage, but the less effective drug which they were using previously does cause kidney damage. Currently he's on dialysis 3 times per week, and they don't know if that will be permanent.

Cheesus, snowathlete, maryb and 2 others like this.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    This is the drug that some of us have been waiting for--a new oral and much safer version of Vistide or Cidofovir.

Sushi

RUkiddingME, SOC and Valentijn like this.
  7. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I wonder why they couldn't give the kid Vistide or Cidovir then, and skip all the controversy? o_O A safety issue, maybe?

8. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Kidney damage is the main concern with Vistide. While on it myself, I had to do labs 3 times a week to monitor mostly the kidneys. Makes since that cmx001 would be safer, but I don't know that it's necessarily more effective because the last I heard that was just an expectation requiring completion of clinical trials for the determination. My year on vistide showed it to be very effective. If cmx001 is more effective than that, we have a really wonderful drug in pipeline.

SOC likes this.
  9. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

What fantastic news! Primarily for the kid and his family, but then also great news for us and all others who could benefit from this drug :)

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes, as Tristen said, cidofovir has safety issues. It is a drug that many doctors won't risk giving.

Sushi

SOC likes this.
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Apparently the CMX001 drug, also known as brincidofovir, is "one the ten hot topics in antiviral research."

Some info:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Bob, Fuschia and Valentijn like this.
  12. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    This is going to be great stuff for a good percentage of us. I'm wondering if maintenance usage is going to be possible....oh well, may not be necessary. My year on Vistide did put the CMV completely down, and it remains undetectable after 4 years. Also at that time, the EBV went back into remission, but it's not definite the drug did that. It could have been my improved immune function. I also believe (along with my doc) there's a good possibility the drug was hitting another undiagnosed virus.

heapsreal likes this.
  13. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I don't want to wait another two years for this drug. I'm ready now!

heapsreal likes this.
  14. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    :D I was ready 5 years ago. ;)

heapsreal and Ema like this.

See more popular forum discussions.