• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chills from Mestinon?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I've been on Mestinon for the past month or so, and I've noticed that I have been much colder than I usually am, and I usually feel pretty darn cold! I have practically been living under and electric blanket that's turned onto its highest setting (unfortunately it doesn't go up to 11), and I'm still chilled. Has this happened to anyone else?

How do you all deal with chills? I'm trying to drink more tea and hot cocoa, but I'm so tired that by the time I work up the energy to sit up and lift the mug my drink's gotten cold!

Shoshana

Northern USA
I haven't taken that. I would want to look on a list , for possible side effects, or ask a pharmacist about the med, regarding that.

Also, when I get cold, once I am cold, which does not take long or much, then I cannot get warm without an external heat source. I personally use heat pads of various types, and I need to place at least one on my feet, to get some of the heat to enter my body.
Another thing I do is to soak my feet in a small tub of warm water. Epsom salt in it, is helpful in other ways.

CHills that significant and hard to get rid of, can be a seriously terrible sensation.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
So after a little two months of being on Mestinon I noticed that, in addition to being chilled, I was also more short of breath. I also had constipation (which is only notable because diarrhea is a common side effect of Mestinon). It's like my body was reacting in exactly the opposite way to the medicine than one would expect--kind of like when you give a kid benedryl and he becomes hyperactive instead of sleepy.

I wrote to the doctor and he said that these symptoms shouldn't be caused by the Mestinon, however I could take a 'vacation' from the medicine if I wanted. I've now been off it for two days, and have noticed that I'm breathing much deeper and easier. Weird. Nobody else has experienced this?? I feel like a bad patient for not getting better on the medicine. But I can't help what my body does.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
(Old thread and I know you have a new baby so don't feel you have to respond to the following, Rebeccare. I'm just posting in case it might be helpful to anyone else.)

Were you checking your BP while on this? My Mom always got chills and had difficulty breathing when her BP spiked.

When I started trialing Mutaflor, chills were the symptom that made me realize my BP had gone up. When I checked it, it was almost normal which was great because electrolytes and licorice didn't even do that most of the time back then.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
(Old thread and I know you have a new baby so don't feel you have to respond to the following, Rebeccare. I'm just posting in case it might be helpful to anyone else.)

Were you checking your BP while on this? My Mom always got chills and had difficulty breathing when her BP spiked.
What a coincidence! I was just here for the first time in several weeks so your post is perfectly timed. Maybe I was feeling Judee vibes coming in my direction :)

I was not checking my BP or HR then. In retrospect I probably should have, but I didn't get a blood pressure cuff until starting midodrine, which is known to raise blood pressure (I didn't get chills on that, but then my blood pressure didn't go up too much either). After reading your post I wonder if BP might have been part of my problem with mestinon? 🤷‍♀️ Something good to keep in mind if I ever decide to try it again.