1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Childhood trauma and risk for chronic fatigue syndrome: association with neuroendocrine dysfunction

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

(I'm mainly posting this now for the comment in the second message)

Full text at: http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?doi=10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2008.508

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

This is a comment of mine I posted on Co-Cure back in 2009 which I thought I'd post somewhere now:

To me, on the basic design of the study, it looks fine except for one major flaw: the definition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome used (however I'm happy to be corrected that there are other flaws).

A problem is that for most readers of the study, they won't even be aware that the authors aren't using the Fukuda definition as normally defined but are using the "empirical" defintion (Reeves, 2005) version of the Fukuda definition.

I'm appending the text below (see Appendix 1).

There are no direct references to the Reeves (2005) empiric definition paper so as I say, most people won't know how unusually CFS is defined. All one basically has is the reference to paper 3

where one would see that the emperic definition was used.

But how many people are going to notice that?

----

The other point of note is that despite the paper appearing quite a comprehensive review of the area, there is actually no mention of:

The authors would be aware of the study as four of them were involved in:

which had the following quote:

To not make readers aware of this study seems strange in the current study which includes 49 references. There aren't exactly many random community studies in the area.

The current paper also gives an idea of the background of Christine Heim before her involvement with the CDC CFS program (she is involved in a lot of their studies now) which the team were probably aware of before the start of the involvement:
    I hope all the media coverage this study is getting will encourage others to do something to challenge the use of the Reeves 2005 "empiric" definition for 2005. The literature is going to be even more of a mess if it continues to be used.

Tom Kindlon

Appendix 1.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appendix 2

This study wasn't referred to:

Simon, Iquitos, WillowJ and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.