The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Childhood maltreatment and the response to cognitive behavior therapy for CFS (Heins)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This study did what it says on the tin. Of course, I think they should use (or report if they do use) objective outcome measures, etc. So I'm not saying I'm a fan, just posting it to highlight the point in my second message in this thread.

*I've given each sentence its own paragraph.

2. Nielk

Nielk

What a waste of time and money. I'm sick of these useless, meaningless studies! Do they perform these studies on cancer patients?
    The few studies that are put out for CFS are so nonsensical. Really? They couldn't come up with anything else?

justinreilly likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They have one treatment and want to claim its suitable and useful for each and every patient.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Childhood Maltreatment percentages quoted

Buried in the full text are some statistics on abuse:

This means 63% didn't report maltreatment.

Below is the "small print" on this but a lot of people can probably skip it.

------

Here's the info on the subjects:

Authors make one comment on overall rate of childhood maltreatment:
    ---
    ---
    but sample size is small (227). Don't know much about how the sample of controls was selected (see abstract below; I can't find the full text).

On the paper on the controls (people don't have to read):

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    One wonders just how long they are going on with these mumbo jumbo "studies".

justinreilly likes this.
  6. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    particularly as they serve neither those who have had abusive childhoods or those with ME. As long as they need to justify their existence and research grants I suspect

justinreilly likes this.
  7. Nielk

Nielk

If they are so bent on this topic, I would want to see them comparing CFS patients to any other illness - being cancer, heart disease, any autoimmune disease.
    I would pretty much guarantee that the numbers would be the same if not larger in other illnesses. Yes, PSTDs affect one's health. They didn't invent the wheel here.

In addition, now that they know this, (who knows what criteria they used for this study?) what will they do with this information? How does this help the patient to get better? If you didn't have PSTDs in your childhood, you don't have CFS? This whole thing is so absurd!! It riles me up big time.

justinreilly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.