• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chikungunya Virus is currently at epidemic levels in...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Several places in the world that members might visit for a holiday. There is a state of emergency in Jamaica and friends in the Virgin Islands are reporting epidemics there. If you are contemplating a tropical vacation, you might want to check first. This is one nasty virus with a good percentage of patients also reporting"post viral syndrome."

Key facts
  • Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. It causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash.
  • The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common.
  • There is no cure for the disease. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
  • The proximity of mosquito breeding sites to human habitation is a significant risk factor for chikungunya.
  • Since 2004, chikungunya fever has reached epidemic proportions, with considerable morbidity and suffering.

Martial

My brother recently contracted possible West Nile in Orange county. Misquotes carry some seriously complex diseases.

andre79

I am in an endemic chikungunya zone and virtually everyone that i know is sick, half of my company employees, my uncle and two cousins, most of my neighbours and so on. We are talking about probably millions in my country. The government has denied the epidemy but it's pretty clear that is expanding very fast and doctors are predictong that 60% of the country will be infected in two years.The vector is a mosquitoe, just like the dengue, but this appear to be a more agressive virus.

Many people infected get the chronic phase which is very painful arthritis-like pain for three years. The morbility is high specially in people with inmunological diseases or diabetes.

That's all we know for the moment. I haven't gotten it and i am very afraid because if i do, it would probably kill me. I am taking complex B vitamins to lower the probability of getting bit by the mosquitoe.

Sushi

@andre79

When talking to a friend in the Virgin Islands who just got sick, we were wondering if any of the natural antiviral remedies would be of help--oregano oil for instance. Have you found any information on that? Seems like it couldn't hurt.

Best wishes,
Sushi

andre79

@Sushi

Thank you, actually we had not thought about natural remedies. The only med doctors are allowing is acetaminofen but since there are shortage of medicines, maybe we could try with natural antivirals. Any side effects of oregano oil?

Sushi

@Sushi
Thank you, actually we had not thought about natural remedies. The only med doctors are allowing is acetaminofen but since there are shortage of medicines, maybe we could try with natural antivirals. Any side effects of oregano oil?

Oregano oil is very strong and needs to be taken in a capsule mixed with a neutral oil like olive oil. Can you buy empty capsules where you are? Otherwise some seem to take it in an extremely dilute form without a capsule. You would be able to find instructions on the internet.

You shouldn't take oregano oil long term, but I find it very effective for short-term use. I have no idea if it would work for chikungunya though. Here is a thread on other plant antivirals.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Martial

Oregano oil is very strong and needs to be taken in a capsule mixed with a neutral oil like olive oil. Can you buy empty capsules where you are? Otherwise some seem to take it in an extremely dilute form without a capsule. You would be able to find instructions on the internet.

You shouldn't take oregano oil long term, but I find it very effective for short-term use. I have no idea if it would work for chikungunya though. Here is a thread on other plant antivirals.

Best wishes,
Sushi

There are a ton of natural anti viral herbs out there, alongside things like silver however that has its own chance of risks. Oregeno oil should definitely be taken with pro biotics. Olive leaf extract, Banderol, Cats Claw, Cumanda, Reishi mushrooms, Japanese knotweed, Garlic, Astragalus root, Elderberry, Cranberry, Golden seal, apple cider vinegar, Prickly ash bark, Rhodiala Rosea, Holy basil leaf, ashwaganda. All of these can help boost immune systems and have differing degrees of anti viral activity.

andre79

I am currently taking apple cider vinegar, garlic, cats claw. I hope that in case i catch the virus they work to keep my system fine. I am going to look for the oregano oil but i guess it must be difficult to find, i will try anyway.

I have in my house ashwaganda, rhodiola, banderol and cranberry, but i haven't used them yet. I have them because i wanted to start a lyme protocol with samento and banderol, but i guess now is more important to keep me alive and saved from the chikungunya. :)

Martial

I am currently taking apple cider vinegar, garlic, cats claw. I hope that in case i catch the virus they work to keep my system fine. I am going to look for the oregano oil but i guess it must be difficult to find, i will try anyway.

I have in my house ashwaganda, rhodiola, banderol and cranberry, but i haven't used them yet. I have them because i wanted to start a lyme protocol with samento and banderol, but i guess now is more important to keep me alive and saved from the chikungunya. :)

Sounds like a solid regime, the others in your house combined with that is really all you need. If you feel you cannot tolerate oregano oil definitely use olive leaf extract with at least 15 percent oleuporin. It functions in the same way but much more gut friendly. Oregano is a bit more powerful though over all.

andre79

Too late, i think i got the chinkungunya :(

I feel my head exploiding but not fever yet. I usually don't get fevers. My body hurts more than usual and i have been bedridden all day. I am thinking about going to ER but i have doubts because all my trips to ER end up really bad, with the disbelief of doctors, specially because i don't produce fever. This sucks.

Sushi

Too late, i think i got the chinkungunya :(

I feel my head exploiding but not fever yet. I usually don't get fevers. My body hurts more than usual and i have been bedridden all day. I am thinking about going to ER but i have doubts because all my trips to ER end up really bad, with the disbelief of doctors, specially because i don't produce fever. This sucks.

I hope you don't have it. Maybe give it a day till you are sure then make your decision about the ER.

Take very good care.
Sushi

andre79

I had the symptoms only for three days that i felt really bad. Then i had weakness for another five days and gone. Now i am back to my baseline symptoms jeje never had a fever though.

So, i am not sure if it was the chikungunya.

Anyway, according to non-official figures of independent doctors in my country there are 1.250.000 cases of non-identified fever syndromes! It could be the chikungunya spreading. Unfortunally there will be no official information since the government wants to hide the truth. It's their responsability to fumigate to kill the mosquitoes and they have not done it propperly. We are talking about a huge public health crisis, specially if like they say there will be many people with post chikungunya syndrome.

andre79

A little black humour from my people. Before&After Chikungunya :)

image.jpg

i know, we laugh about everything, it's our way to face life. Around 30-40% of the population of my country has had the chik in the past six months. I have spoken with several patients and all of them report that the symptoms have lingered for months. Many of them has not recovered.

Now, in a serious way, this is the percentage of people that get post chikungunya arthitris and it can last up to three years:

image.jpg

Besides the arthritis, other symptoms of post chinkungunya syndrome are fatigue, depression, severe weakness, raynaud syndrome. Sounds familiar? This post chik syndrome is well documented, and severely affects quality of life and productivity. They say it only last three years, but who knows. It could be more evidence that CFS is indeed a post viral syndrome, the thing is to find what is the pathogen that causes it.

Now, in my case, it seems i had the chikungunya, but i was never as sick as healthy people that got it, and now i don't have any symptom whatsoever, just my regular ones. I wonder why is this, of course i am relieved that it didn't hurt me too much but what is happening with my inmune system that is unable to mount a contraattack?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It could be more evidence that CFS is indeed a post viral syndrome, the thing is to find what is the pathogen that causes it.
If CFS is a post viral syndrome, then the pathogen would be viruses - all of them or a group of them. I think the thing would be to find the process(es) that lead to the symptoms. Then, of course, a way to treat and/or prevent them.

@Sushi
I was about to create a thread for this about how CHIK mimics symptoms of CFS but thank God I found this thread since I'm consumed with fatigue. There has a been a huge outbreak due to monsoon rains of this virus in my home country.

As people were telling me about the symptoms, fatigue, and joint pains that continue years after contraction, my mind flashed to only one thing: post-viral syndrome....

Our local hospital checks for antibodies but there's no treatment or vaccine available yet. Here's the article from the local news:

https://www.samaa.tv/pakistan/2016/...cases-spark-fears-of-outbreak-in-karachi/amp/

And here's another article about CHIK and Lyme disease which I highly recommend reading:
http://danielcameronmd.com/chikungunya-virus-symptoms-can-mimic-lyme-disease/

Damn you, mosquitoes!

Several places in the world that members might visit for a holiday. There is a state of emergency in Jamaica and friends in the Virgin Islands are reporting epidemics there. If you are contemplating a tropical vacation, you might want to check first. This is one nasty virus with a good percentage of patients also reporting"post viral syndrome."

I have actually been bitten last night by a mosquito and feeling feverish and very achy.... Really hope it's not CHIKV... I'm feeling even more fatigued than my usual CFS attacks.