Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chicago Trib publishes Dr Racaniello's retraction letter

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by urbantravels, Dec 23, 2010.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Just tweeted by Dr. R. a few minutes ago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-101223racaniello_briefs,0,1990620.story

2. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Kind of a non-headline the Trib gave it, eh?

3. guest

guest Guest

I'm still thankful that Racaniello made this retraction letter.

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Non descript indeed....That must have hurt a bit given their stance on XMRV - but at least its out there.

5. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    I noticed that the discussion of the Hue paper was omitted from the letter, which is otherwise pretty much exactly what he posted on his blog yesterday. I wonder if that was thought just too technical?

6. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    They printed it as an article or as a Letter to the Editor?

Because the Trib really should print a correction notice (although this would actually be less noticeable even then a Letter to the Editor) and do a new article, titled something like, "Virologist Retracts Statement, Proclaims XMRV Not Dead Yet", but I predict they will not. This would be the right thing to do, based both on integrity and on the general principle that controversy sells newspapers.

It was good of Racaniello to do everything in his power to make sure the paper and public were informed of his change of opinion based on a better understanding of the papers. Maybe he'll send the letter to the satellite papers, too.

7. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, duh, I just realized I posted without including the URL. Amended now. It does appear to have been printed as a letter to the editor.

8. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    thankful for the retraction and grateful for our freedom of press to print it!

i don't think the government controlled UK press will be printing this retraction. bbc, guardian = RUBBISH

9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Good point Lancelot - that would not have seen the light of day in the UK. The Tribune printed it and quickly - good for them.

10. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    ok, that's true too. :) They did print it and print immediately, and deserve some credit for that

See more popular forum discussions.