• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chia seeds?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Has anyone here used chia seeds to help improve bowel motility and overall functioning?

I have just started eating them 2X/day. I like them, very neutral taste, unlike psyllium. They have worked well to alleviate some of my gut distress--bloating and constipation. I feel like there's been a bit of gut cleansing and detox since I started eating them.

Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with them?

leela

I'm a big fan of chia seeds. For a lot of reasons. As a veg, they make a good egg substitute for baking, and they are high in protein
(especially if you grind them). Also high in EFAs.

Because they go gelatinous in liquid, you can make nice pudding-y sorts of treats with blended fruit, coconut milk, nut milk etc. Vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract--whatever flavors you like work well with its neutral glurpy-crunchy texture.
If you can find a decent pineapple in the US (this is tricky) pineapple-chia pudding is the best!

I mix a ground-up TBS of seeds in my morning porridge. Sprinkle on salads. It's a handy food to have around!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Bad experience over here. They aggravated my intestinal inflammation. You have to try things and see what works for you. But the slime they create in water was really a funny thing to see and drink. It was like eating those tiney slimy frog eggs. They are astoundingly similar!

helen1

I eat sprouted chia seeds, as sprouted seeds and grains have increased digestive enzymes and decreased anti-nutrients such as phytates and tannins. Sprouting also increases the nutrient content.

I've found them at Whole Foods.

SOC

I'm a big fan of chia seeds. For a lot of reasons. As a veg, they make a good egg substitute for baking, and they are high in protein
(especially if you grind them). Also high in EFAs.

Because they go gelatinous in liquid, you can make nice pudding-y sorts of treats with blended fruit, coconut milk, nut milk etc. Vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract--whatever flavors you like work well with its neutral glurpy-crunchy texture.
If you can find a decent pineapple in the US (this is tricky) pineapple-chia pudding is the best!

I mix a ground-up TBS of seeds in my morning porridge. Sprinkle on salads. It's a handy food to have around!
Hmmm.... maybe I need to add these to my protein bar recipe. The pudding-y thing sounds good, too.