1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chia seeds?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Dreambirdie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Has anyone here used chia seeds to help improve bowel motility and overall functioning?

I have just started eating them 2X/day. I like them, very neutral taste, unlike psyllium. They have worked well to alleviate some of my gut distress--bloating and constipation. I feel like there's been a bit of gut cleansing and detox since I started eating them.

Has anyone else had good/bad experiences with them?
  2. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Dreambirdie likes this.
  3. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i have found chia seeds very helpful for bowel movements. i grind them in the coffee grider.
    Dreambirdie likes this.
  4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    I'm a big fan of chia seeds. For a lot of reasons. As a veg, they make a good egg substitute for baking, and they are high in protein
    (especially if you grind them). Also high in EFAs.

Because they go gelatinous in liquid, you can make nice pudding-y sorts of treats with blended fruit, coconut milk, nut milk etc. Vanilla, cinnamon, almond extract--whatever flavors you like work well with its neutral glurpy-crunchy texture.
    If you can find a decent pineapple in the US (this is tricky) pineapple-chia pudding is the best!

I mix a ground-up TBS of seeds in my morning porridge. Sprinkle on salads. It's a handy food to have around!
    SOC and Dreambirdie like this.
  5. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Bad experience over here. They aggravated my intestinal inflammation. You have to try things and see what works for you. But the slime they create in water was really a funny thing to see and drink. It was like eating those tiney slimy frog eggs. They are astoundingly similar!
  6. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I have not use them ground. I will try this.
  7. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    I eat sprouted chia seeds, as sprouted seeds and grains have increased digestive enzymes and decreased anti-nutrients such as phytates and tannins. Sprouting also increases the nutrient content.

I've found them at Whole Foods.
  8. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Hmmm.... maybe I need to add these to my protein bar recipe. The pudding-y thing sounds good, too.

See more popular forum discussions.