1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cheney Clinic positive XMRV/MLV/HGRV study??

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by sensing progress, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    The just received September CFIDSLink includes a link to a FAQ about the Lo/Alter study. One answer from Paul Cheney is as follows:

He does not explicitly say that they found XMRV/MLVs in CFS patients, but I cannot think of any reason to call the data "extraordinary" unless they were finding positives in high numbers. This must be one of the rumored positive studies to be presented at the conference.
  2. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Good eye sensing progress picking up on this. Don't know how I managed to gloss over it but I did. I agree it looks promising.

What is the short form KPS that he's referring to?
  3. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
  4. shannah

shannah Senior Member

5. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

yes, that is what it stands for.

this is going to be one rocking (!!!!) conference!!!!!
  6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Great, more to be revealed in just another week!
  7. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Can. Not. Wait.
  8. ukme

ukme Senior Member

Can't wait either!
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    just to be different I'm going to wait!!

(not that I see any alternative lol)
  10. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    Cheney mentioned that a large proportion of his patients had tested positive for XMRV at Invest in ME in May in London. I'm guessing the above mentioned poster presentation will be based on that.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I find it surprising - and interesting - that studies rumoured to be showing a CFS/MLV link are just being posters rather than presented papers at the conference. Unless they were submitted and accepted before the results were out (unusual but not unheard of for a study to be accepted on the basis of its design alone), they will presumably have been chosen to be "postered" by the organisers and other studies chosen to be given the spotlight. This suggests to me that studies that would previously have been considered dynamite - showing a CFS/MLV link - are perhaps now being considered old news/established fact and that the science has moved on very quickly to the next phase (taking the problem to bits and trying to solve it).

I can't wait either...
  12. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Bring it on!! :)
  13. gregf

gregf Senior Member

Sydney Australia
    Thank you very much for posting :tongue: this.

I have great admiration for Dr. Paul Cheney and am very interested in his news.
    I thought he was being quiet, as a I have not seen his newsletter for a while.
  14. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    Ooooo! Go Dr. Cheney!
  15. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    I believe the XMRV figures to be around 80% from what was last reported by Dr Cheney.
  16. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I count four studies that appear to be certain to be positive: UK, Hansen, Cheney, De Meirleir plus some opportunity for more with the Blomberg study.
  17. gregf

gregf Senior Member

Sydney Australia
    A bit off topic, but my heart compels me to write.

In 2006 I had been ill with ME for two years. No one could tell me anything useful
    about why I was sick and my friends were ringing to to tell me "You have an
    illness belief. We read this on the net".

I came across a DVD called The Heart Of The Matter, which was Paul Cheney's 2006 lecture.
    It was a breathtaking leap forward, detailing all of real scientific known evidence along
    with his findings on oxygen and PFOs.

I think I am fairly clever myself, but when one hears PC speak, one knows they are
    in the presence of a brilliant mind.

I am fairly at peace with things now, but if I could do one thing, it would be to thank
    him in person, for all he has done for us. Being down under, it is not likely I will ever
    get to do that, so if anyone ever gets a chance to meet him, please say thank you,

from Greg in Australia.
  18. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Greg, your short message here seemed heartfelt to me. Why not email it directly to Paul Cheney himself, exactly as is, I am sure he would really appreciate it.
  19. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Re. Paul Cheney's study - does anyone know which lab did the testing for Dr Cheney's patients please? Were they done as part of a clinical trial or did he have bloods taken and forward to VIPDx labs for eg? I guess these answers will be forthcoming next week, but if anyone knows at the moment, it would be good to know.
  20. gregf

gregf Senior Member

Sydney Australia
    I think I will. Thank you for the idea pictureofhealth.

Sometimes one forgets how much the Internet has changed the world.
    And the ability of patients to fight for their rights.
    CFS : the first medical scandal defeated by the Internet.

See more popular forum discussions.