Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chemotherapy remissions

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by BurnA, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

There seems to be a few stories in different threads of patients going into remission after chemotherapy.

I thought I would create a thread specifically for this topic, it would be interesting to hear from people who did and didn't respond to chemotherapy and what the chemotherapy treatment was.

2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

ScottTriGuy and redrachel76 like this.
  3. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

I've never had chemo, but chiming in that I suspect that CFS and particularly ME has to do with the critters (viruses, bacterium, microbes, whathaveyou) that live in us as much as genetics. So maybe chemo kills the critters, thus allow some people to get better.

ScottTriGuy and helen1 like this.
  4. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Approximately five years ago (and 20+ years after my ME onset) I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Like my ME, onset was sudden -- I went to bed feeling "typical for me", and awoke with excruciating joint pain, and so stiff I could barely get out of bed. Several months later when I had almost completely lost the use of my hands, I was prescribed a weekly low-dose of oral Methotrexate (10 mg initially, then increased to 15 mg, and currently a maintenance dose of 12.5 mg). For the first three weeks on this drug, I felt better than I had in years. I slept better, and had more energy/endurance. I was feeling quite hopeful. Unfortunately, the improvements didn't last, and I was soon back to my usual level of functioning, which since then has continued to go downhill.

ScottTriGuy and BurnA like this.
  5. redrachel76

redrachel76 Senior Member

Israel
    What a fascinating thread.
    I read that the CFIDS Foundation believes that M.E is an autoimmune disease and is connected to cancer.

I personally believe this illness is autoimmune.

2 papers that about the link to cancer were completely ignored by the media. The first paper I was sent by the head of the CFIDS Foundation.

Chronic fatigue syndrome and subsequent risk of cancer among elderly US adults.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22648858
    CFS associated with increase in Non Hodgkin Lymphoma

http://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/29/11/4717.full
    Immunological Similarities between Cancer and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Common Link to Fatigue?

I am intrigued with @Old Bones experience. Could it be that there are drugs for rheumatoid arthritis, not only cancer, that could help us, and are just waiting to be tried out? even if they just give transient remissions.

I hope others who have had chemotherapy answer this thread.

6. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I found this post on a breastcancercare forum

Interesting.

catly and Hip like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Shame she did not detail the chemotherapy drugs she was given. There is a long list of chemotherapy drugs, and without knowing which one(s), you cannot really investigate the possible mechanisms of action that may have lead to ME/CFS remission.

8. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

wastwater likes this.
  9. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2013/535738/

This review focuses on systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and Sjögren’s syndrome (SS) and sum up the existing data linking EBV with these diseases including elevated titres of EBV antibodies, reduced T-cell defence against EBV, and elevated EBV viral load.

wastwater likes this.
  10. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Great thread and I am now starting to be convinced (at least in my own case) of a link between an ME/CFS type illness and auto-antibodies that link to paraneoplastic syndromes and cancer (even though I do not have cancer at this time.) Maybe this is why certain chemo or immunosuppressant treatments work for some people.

I think ME/CFS is an endless collection of sub-groups and this is why different people react so incredibly different to meds or even supplements. I no longer believe it is just one monolithic illness with one single treatment. Although the process is moving slower than molasses, I may end up trying a chemo type med some day to try to knock out these ion channelopathy auto-antibodies (I hope that is the right word?!!)

ETA: This relates in my case: http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/...annelopathy-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Justin30 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  11. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Good thread,I may link into this through 13q14
    BRCA2 is at 13q12

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.