1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chemical Free Computer Mouse?

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by Womble, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Womble

Womble

Hello!

I recently purchased a generic wired mouse from Microsoft. After using it for a short
    period of time, I felt a lot of gas and fumes get into my lungs, and by the end of the
    day I was coughing and feeling sick.

Do you have any advice on how I can get a mouse that won't worsen my MCS? Is there
    a particular type of plastic that is safer, or a particular brand you prefer?
  2. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    Maybe try to get a really old one at a yard sale or on ebay, etc. ? Try to get ones that are hard plastic, and don't have any of that rubbery stuff on them. If yours has a rubber mouse wheel, perhaps that is contributing to the offgassing. It might be better to get one without a wheel.
    rosie26 likes this.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Like jeffrez is saying, either buy a used one, or you can offgas the current one. Set it in an unused room, basement, or garage for a week or more, and let it air out.
  4. Womble

Womble

Will it off-gas if it isn't plugged in?

I thought computer products could only off-gas if they are being used, am I wrong?
  5. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I agree with buying an older one. A few months old should be enough. Thrift stores sometimes have them.

I would expect the new one to take over a month to stop bothering you, unless you can use ozone in an enclosed room to speed it up. (You'd have to buy or borrow a machine for ozone.)
    leela likes this.
  6. Womble

Womble

Interesting, what does ozone do to it? :)
  7. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Well I am going to copy from a past post made by Dainty, from an old thread:

I don't like the smell of the ozone itself, but I hold my breath and leave the room.

See more popular forum discussions.