1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chelation before methylation protocol?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by bluezone, Oct 13, 2010.

1. suzanne

suzanne Senior Member

Hi Danny,

I am interested in your experience with methylation, as like you, I am having a hard time tolerating methyl b12 and methyl folate. i go alright for a week or two and then i have incredible problems with ithing, nausea and headaches- just becomes intolerable and my doses are not that high.

I know i react strongly to chlation of mercury as i have tried almost all the supplements that are meant to help, and have found tolerating any mercury chelation to be diffficult to sustain- it just makes all my pre existing symtpoms a lot worse. i am toying with the idea of trying chelation again too- andy cutler style.

Have you tried the cutler protocl- and if so, what dose of dmsa could you tolerate. I did a day and a half about 8 months ago- i took divided doses of 3 mg and had to give up. I know it sounds pathetic but i was a couch ridden mess with all my symtpoms. I am thinking about trying again but at a lower dose of .75mg. I cannot understand why i react so badly at these doses , which as I understand it are baby doses. Maybe after doing methylation for 6 months i may find it less diffficult, but I am cautious, for good reason. Trouble is, some of us may not heal until the mercury is addressed, i am strating to come around to that idea, as 6 months on fredds protocol and I dont seem to be making more progress- some improvement in energy but otherwise lots of downside symptoms.

I have stopped all my methylation supps at the moment and day 2 still feel bad with aches and pains, headaches nausea and itchy skin. I am hoping to find out my base off the supps and then maybe add them back but at a lower dose.

Then...may need to bite the bullet and try mercury chelation again.

i would be interested to know your experiences with meercury chelation so far? I tried ala once as a sustained release 300mg tablet and had extree headaches, so stopped.

2. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi Suzanne,

I used the ALA (alpha lipoic acid) at 12.5 mgs six times a day for three days, two nights. Not sure if I'm strong enough now to be getting up twice a night, but will keep considering it. I never tried the DMSA...... :)

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Why can't you take a good high quality time-released version of ALA?

4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi August,

Cutler insists that one needs to take small doses frequently so that blood levels stay as steady as possible for a few days, so that mercury and other heavy metals don't get redistributed into the brain. Here's his reply to someone 10 years ago, asking about time-released DMSA and ALA:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/message/33088

Perhaps that has changed in ten years, but I don't think so.

??? :)

5. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    I've been re-reading Cutler's book Amalgam Illness as I'm approaching time when all my fillings will be replaced and will start chelation.
    In the book I find a lot of helpful advice with regard to working around side effects and reactions to mercury detox.
    Anybody thinking of doing chelation should have a look at it. You may avoid unnecessary suffering.
    Also anybody struggling with reactions should think about Naet, it can really help overcoming roadblocks.

6. Ian

Ian Senior Member

7. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Toxins can be released during methylation so if you suspect you have metal toxicity or other toxins you should be using binders during your methylation treatment whether or not you're also doing chelation. You should also start at very low doses when following a methylation protocol if you suspect a high toxic burden. This can also apply to people who have Lyme or other illnesses that cause the body to be overrun by toxins. Rich has spoken many times about methylation and detoxification. If there's anyone following this thread who's interested I can dig up some of the quotes.

See more popular forum discussions.