• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Check out our newest forum.

Welcome to the new "Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical and Food Sensitivies" forum.

Many ME/CFS patients report being unusually reactive to a variety of environmental substances -- toxic mold, gluten, household chemicals, hazardous algae blooms, pesticides, EMF's, mercury and many others. Discuss strategies for avoidance and for lowering reactivities here.

We have moved related threads over to this forum to get things going.

"CFS/ME" is an environmental illness.

I have testified before members of the United States Congress concerning my suffering from illness that has symptoms that match what "CFS/ME" patients report. The difference is that my illness is present only after exposure to indoor molds.

I work as a professional rock climbing and fly fishing guide, and I can assure you that post exertional malaise is not something that is compatible with this.

In light of this and in my opinion, "CFS/ME" is an environmental illness, caused by inflammatory response to ongoing exposure to ubiquitous biological agents in the built environment. CFS research appears to be ignoring this massively documented etiological evidence because of it's politically inconvenient truth.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Great thread

Its nice to see this thread.

I am trying to eat mostly whole unprocessed food. I buy sugar and snap peas. Recently I was at kims market where I bought them, because of OI I did not read the label. I always wash them. While eating them my mouth was burning somewhat more then usual, and as usual I gave a handful to my dog. My mouth was really burning and I watched as my dog started chewing and spat them out. I looked on the label and saw they were from CHINA!!!! I have no idea if there is some contaminent in them or not. My dog seems to have this same illness with food sensitivities too. He usually eats the peas with no problem but not those!

I am finding Dr. Brommers unscented soap to be ok for most things including shampoo, body wash, and general cleaning. With laundry soaps I find it best when I rotate amongst various unscented products and soap nuts

I recently found milk of magnesia to work not too badly as a deodorant.

Does anyone know of a natural setting lotion for hair?

glen

slayadragon

Toxic mold definitely is a "politically inconvenient truth." For instance, according to this CNN report by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, one-third of U.S. schools have serious mold problems. It would be really expensive to fix them all!

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/health/2012/01/12/pkg-toxic-schools-national.cnn

Glen, that is a very scary story about the snap peas. Someone told me recently that some of Whole Foods' organic frozen vegetables are from China too. I don't know that I trust that country enough to be making sure that those vegetables are really being raised in an okay way.

When I was living in my moldy house, my husband, my cat and I all had many of the same symptoms. The concurrence of illness between CFS sufferers and pets really needs to be investigated, I think.

Best, Lisa