1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Check if You Are Naturally Immune to HIV (Via 23andme Results)

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Hip, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Something interesting for those who have their 23andme.com genetic results:

1% of the population have genetic immunity (high resistance) to the most common strains of HIV: these HIV-immune individuals are those who carry two copies of the genetic mutation called CCR5 Delta32.

To check if you have this genetic immunity to HIV, click ➤ HERE.

This will take you to the appropriate webpage on 23andme.com, where you can see how many copies of this CCR5 Delta32 mutation you have.

On that webpage, you will see this:

Gene · · · Position· · · SNP · · · · Versions· · · Your Genotype
    CCR5 · · · 46414947· · · i3003626· · · · · · · · ·
    ???

If your genotype is DD, then you have immunity / resistance to HIV.
    If your genotype is II or DI then you are not resistant to HIV infection.

More specifically:
    • If your genotype is II then you have no copies of the CCR5 Delta32 mutation, and are not resistant to HIV infection.
    • If your genotype is DI then you have one copy of the CCR5 Delta32 mutation, are not resistant to HIV infection, but may have slower progression to AIDS after infection. Around 10% of Caucasians have one copy of CCR5 Delta32.
    • If your genotype is DD then you have two copies of the CCR5 Delta32 mutation, and are resistant to infection by the most common strain of HIV people usually encounter, though protection is not complete. Around 1% of Caucasians have two copies of CCR5 Delta32.

Notes:
    The CCR5 Delta32 mutation has the RSID of rs333. However 23andme call this mutation i3003626.

Some Links:
    I3003626 - SNPedia
    Rs333 - SNPedia
    CCR5 - SNPedia

HIV Resistant Mutation
    New Drugs to Grant Natural Resistance or Even Immunity Against HIV/AIDS Show Encouraging Results
    SNPedia: All I want for Christmas is a cure for HIV
    "Immune" to HIV? Not So Fast

This article on the 23andme blog is also interesting, and details CCR5 Delta32, plus three more SNPs that affect the rate of HIV disease progression.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Sea, brenda, rosie26 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    Welp, looks like I better stay away from HIV.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I'm also II - not resistant.

4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    No luck for me. So I guess my swinging days are over?

Soundthealarm21 and maryb like this.
  5. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    II for me.

6. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Interesting thanks Hip. DI for me

7. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    I think though we may also need to take into account that we may already have compromised immune systems which would in fact make chances of contracting a disease such as HIV much higher in our population.

Interesting though.

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Well, if the fact that ME/CFS patients rarely catch colds is anything to go by (and Rich Van K said he thought this was because type I interferons may be constantly active in ME/CFS, instantly neutralizing any cold viruses as soon as they hit), ME/CFS patients might conceivably also be less prone to catching HIV — but I have no plans to test this theory!

I am also II (not HIV resistant), so I guess my swinging days are over too.

Interesting how it says here that an HIV-positive patient, who received a bone marrow transplant from a donor with 2 copies of the CCR5 Delta32 HIV-resistance mutation, was cured of his HIV infection. The researchers concluded that this "SNP transplant" cured their patient's HIV.

This reminds me of a study (details posted here), where mice with chronic coxsackievirus B infection (arguably the virus most strongly linked to ME/CFS) were injected with B cells from mice immune to coxsackievirus B, and in many cases this resulted in the elimination of the infection.

This makes me wonder whether there are humans who are naturally resistant to coxsackievirus B by their genetic makeup, and if so, would an injection of their B-cells also eliminate the coxsackievirus B infection in ME/CFS patients, thus curing ME/CFS?

9. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Hi Hip, I think you need to be a bit careful throwing the word 'fact' around. It is not a fact that all PWME/CFS rarely catch colds. Many of us do indeed catch everything going - especially perhaps earlier in the illness. I think some have a distinctly lowered immunity and propensity to catch things and an inability to clear viruses/bacteria/fungal infections.

Those pesky B cells keep cropping up everywhere don't they?

Justy

rosie26 likes this.
  10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

You are right, Justy, a lot of people with ME/CFS do say that they rarely ever catch colds anymore, suggesting that certain aspects of the immune system are ramped up; but perhaps there is also a large group of ME/CFS patients who are more susceptible to catching colds.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    justy likes this.
  11. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
  12. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    II - me too
    interesting @Hip thanks

13. Azrael

Azrael

Interesting stuff indeed and I can tell you that im also one of them that very rarely catches a cold. I can't even remember when my last was.

Ofcourse apart from my constant runny nose :oops:

14. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Looks like I have to behave. II for me.

15. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    II here too!

16. RosieBee

RosieBee

UK
    II me too! Are we all II?

17. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    No, I'm DI

RosieBee likes this.
  18. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    I'm so glad I got 23andMe done. It's pretty cool being able to look this stuff up when papers come out. :thumbsup:

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.