• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cheapest source of methylfolate, cost per milligram?

Deltrus

@skwag thanks! Wow that bulk one is low cost/weight. It costs a tenth as much as my current source. Too bad I'm not sure I'd trust China or customs.

Edit holy fuck canada dollar is 0.76 U.S. Wtf.

Last edited:

Deltrus

I ended up buying from methyl life. Somehow they gave free shipping even though I was in Canada, usually websites don't do that. 15 mg x 90 for $76 is a pretty good deal.

And I use vitacost for the rest of my supplements. They have ridiculous deals. Last time they had a "buy one get one free" sale for their own brand, I bought 4 of zinc, magnesium, manganese, methylb12 5,000 mcg, and I also got a 10% off code.

And this time when I ordered, I couldn't find any 10% off code (usually I get them with my order, through emails, or through weekly deals) so I opened that chat function and got a 10% off code in 2 minutes just by asking.

Critterina

@Deltrus
I thought that Vitacost was from China. Not the brand names, but their store brand, of course. That said, I've had no problems with their P5P and Alpha Lipoic Acid.
Crit.

Deltrus

Yeah pretty much everything is from China, but the big vendors test everything thoroughly. If a substance gets good results on tests, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

skwag

Did you notice any difference between this and folates from other sources?
Hi alicec. I have found it effective. I don't notice any immediate difference between this and quatrefolic. I also found it more effective than Solgar, but that may not be a fair mg to mg comparison. I haven't done any serious longer term comparison testing, which I probably should.

Another concern about this powder is the possible oxidation of the folate. It is likely that this form is less stable than Metafolin or Quatrefolic, so extra steps may be required to avoid this problem.

alicec

I have found it effective. I don't notice any immediate difference between this and quatrefolic. I also found it more effective than Solgar, but that may not be a fair mg to mg comparison. I haven't done any serious longer term comparison testing, which I probably should.

Thanks very much. I am thinking of buying some.

Another concern about this powder is the possible oxidation of the folate. It is likely that this form is less stable than Metafolin or Quatrefolic, so extra steps may be required to avoid this problem.

So freezing in an air-tight container might be helpful?

skwag

So freezing in an air-tight container might be helpful?

Yes. I break up the powder into smaller quantities - about a week's worth - and heat seal each in a small mylar bag with an oxygen absorber.

These are the storage instructions from one manufacturer.
Product has a 2 year shelf life when stored under proper conditions, in original, unopened packaging. Store in a cool, dry place, at a temperature below 25°C, under inert atmosphere and with an oxygen scavenger. Protect from light.

I expect freezing would greatly extend the shelf life, but I haven't tested it myself.

Last edited: