Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chariots of the globs: dynein-dynactin interaction in intracelluar transport

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by anciendaze, Feb 11, 2018.

1. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

For years I've been telling people who repeat the theory Roger Penrose has pushed, about quantum computing taking place in microtubules inside cells, that every interaction between complex molecules with peculiar shapes could be an example of quantum computing. We now have new evidence that we failed to understand a very important part of transport of biochemicals along microtubules.

They only scratch the surface here in terms of diseases involving defects in transporter molecules. I think the naive idea of cells as loose bags of components, with the exception of some organelles, is about to get dumped.

ScottTriGuy, Learner1 and Dmitri like this.
  2. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Thinking more about why there are two of these molecules I was reminded of ascenders used by climbers going up a rope. Another analogy would be dual pawl ratchets in mechanical watches. One holds position while the other moves a step ahead. [​IMG]

The reconstructed static image had to be build from multiple examples seen in different stages of operation, and so would miss these differences needed to operate.

The important take-home message is that this was not a trivial piece of data we were missing, it was essential to normal operation, even before you consider malfunctions in pathological states.

ScottTriGuy and Learner1 like this.
  3. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Maybe we can start with the cartoon model...:nerd: This sounds like it might have hugely complex implications...

See more popular forum discussions.