1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Characterization, Mapping and Distribution of the Two XMRV Parental Proviruses

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/short/JVI.06022-11v1

2. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Well, it's an interesting theory, and it seems plausible to a lay person (me).

But I wonder if they've read the unpublished recombination paper that rebutts their previous and current conclusions:

Murine leukemia viruses (MuLV) and Xenotropic MuLV-related viruses exhibit inter-tropic complex recombination patterns
    Mattia C F Prosperi , William M Switzer, Walid Heneine and Marco Salemi
    6 June 2011
    Unpublished abstract presented to the '15th International Conference on Human Retroviruses: HTLV and Related Viruses'
    Retrovirology 2011, 8(Suppl 1):A235doi:10.1186/1742-4690-8-S1-A235
    http://www.retrovirology.com/content/8/S1/A235
    Conclusion:
    "Given the evidence of inter-tropic recombination in MuLV, detection and classification of recombination in XMRV using different MuLV tropism prototypes should be interpreted with caution ... These results suggest that identification of parental strains of the potential recombinants is difficult and that recombination in the highly genetically related MuLV have been occurring for some time."

See more popular forum discussions.