• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Characteristics of Psychiatrists Disciplined by Professional Colleges

natasa778

The Characteristics of Psychiatrists Disciplined by Professional Colleges in Canada

Background

The identification of health care professionals who are incompetent, impaired, exploitative or have criminal intent is important for public safety. It is unclear whether psychiatrists are more likely to commit medical misconduct offences than non-psychiatrists, and if the nature of these offences is different.
Aim

The aim of this study was to compare the characteristics of psychiatrists disciplined in Canada and the nature of their offences and disciplinary sentences for the ten years from 2000 through 2009 to other physicians disciplined during that timeframe.
Methods

Utilizing a retrospective cohort design, we constructed a database of all physicians disciplined by provincial licensing authorities in Canada for the ten years from 2000 through 2009. Demographic variables and information on type of misconduct violation and penalty imposed were also collected for each physician disciplined. We compared psychiatrists to non-psychiatrists for the various outcomes.
Results

There were 82 (14%) psychiatrists of 606 physicians disciplined in Canada in the ten years from 2000 through 2009, double the national proportion of psychiatrists. Of those disciplined psychiatrists, 8 (9.6%) were women compared to 29% in the national cohort. A total of 5 (6%) psychiatrists committed at least two separate offenses, accounting for approximately 11% of the total violations. A higher proportion of psychiatrists were disciplined for sexual misconduct (OR 3.62 [95% Confidence Interval [CI] 2.45–5.34]), fraudulent behavior (OR 2.32 [95% CI 1.20–4.40]) and unprofessional conduct (OR 3.1 [95% CI 1.95–4.95]). As a result, psychiatrists had between 1.85–4.35 greater risk of having disciplinary penalties in almost all categories in comparison to other physicians.
Conclusion

Psychiatrists differ from non-psychiatrist physicians in the prevalence and nature of medical misconduct. Efforts to decrease medical misconduct by psychiatrists need to be conducted and systematically evaluated

Conclusion

Psychiatrists differ from non-psychiatrist physicians in the prevalence and nature of medical misconduct. Efforts to decrease medical misconduct by psychiatrists need to be conducted and systematically evaluated

Was this intended to be an outright anti-psychiatrist screed?

Because if it was, I endorse it 100%. I don't trust them.

SilverbladeTE

As I've said, it's a modern day hidehole/power spot, for those who once would have been in the Inquisition or such.
nothing to do with science or compassion, the bulk of Psychiatry is filled with manipulative scumbags who's vodoo bullshit lets them fit anything to any of their ludicrous crap exactly like the witchfinders of old.
they hunted out, expanded their role/power/position, scared folk into silence by accusing them of heresy/not caring about victims exactly like religious/political zealots do!

"How do we know a woman is a witch?"
"Throw her in a pond, if she floats she uses magic to do it and must burn as a witch, if she drowns she's a good Christian!
If she has a third nipple, a mole on her back...."
so, um, like in the end, eveyr woman was a witch?
Same vodoo bullshit :p

PS
also brings up study that suggests many financial traders are effectively, psychopaths
hence they don't care their antics are causing incredible harm
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2011/09/26/new-study-old-news-stock-traders-are-psychopaths/

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
As I've said, it's a modern day hidehole/power spot, for those who once would have been in the Inquisition or such.
nothing to do with science or compassion, the bulk of Psychiatry is filled with manipulative scumbags who's vodoo bullshit lets them fit anything to any of their ludicrous crap exactly like the witchfinders of old.
they hunted out, expanded their role/power/position, scared folk into silence by accusing them of heresy/not caring about victims exactly like religious/political zealots do!

"How do we know a woman is a witch?"
"Throw her in a pond, if she floats she uses magic to do it and must burn as a witch, if she drowns she's a good Christian!
If she has a third nipple, a mole on her back...."
so, um, like in the end, eveyr woman was a witch?
Same vodoo bullshit :p

PS
also brings up study that suggests many financial traders are effectively, psychopaths
hence they don't care their antics are causing incredible harm
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2011/09/26/new-study-old-news-stock-traders-are-psychopaths/

You have such a way with words, now tell us how you really think, lol.

good call.

John Mac

Silverblade your reference to the inquisition hits home to my view of Psychiatrists.
When I was young my local church had 5 priests working there, now it shares 1 priest with 2 other parishes!
Being a priest 50/60 years ago was still seen as a good comfortable safe career alternative. But not nowadays.
I wonder what happened to the present generation of would be priests who chose another occupation? What career did they choose that requires a similar self deluded belief that they have been empowered with a god given ability to see into our souls/minds and have the instant answers to all lifes problems? I can think of one profession.

SilverbladeTE

;)
Problem is, hard science didn't slap the sods way back, partially because there wasn't the tools/means to give definitive facts to support hard action.
Being wahoos, the "bad" psychiatrists kept pushing their envelope, because it's all about power/ego/money largely though they deluded themselves that they were "doing the right thing".
so they started saying many illnesses were in their "bailiwick" so they could control them, not help/cure patients, but control the arena.

look at stomach ulcers, no evidence for their cocakamammy vodoo bullhit that "stress" caused them, it's a frekain bacteria for many cases, but they literally scared off/silenced anyone and it took 40 years to overturn their bullshit domination and lies.
and they are *lies*, got nothing to do with science, all to do with ego/power

many a decent person has went into religion, some are incredible people, that should never be forgotten.
nor should we forget the wahoos and ways the "group" became a horror.
Same thing.

alex3619

1875. That was the year they figured out that peptic ulcers were probably from bacteria. It took 108 years for that to be recognized, largely because psychiatry dominated the discussion. My blog on it is here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/here-we-go-round-the-merry-go-round-part-one.1229/

Some psychs like to say that patients reject a psychosomatic label due to psychiatric stigma. I wonder if biomedical researchers avoid diseases that might be psychosomatic because they have to wade through so much complete nonsense, and they instinctively avoid psychobabble? My theory has more evidence for it that the psychobabble one does!

People forget that large established religious institutions used to be about control. They had their own police, their own investigators, their own private armies. They went to war and invaded countries (I am talking of the Papacy wars here).

There is a good reason why we separate church and state. Power is not safe concentrated in one group. I am writing a blog on separation of powers and medicine. Is it safe to give all the power to an appointed group of doctors who oversee all of medicine in their country? Sure most of them are probably honest, its not about that, its about the downside when too many who seek power wind up in those positions. Medical power, in my view, needs to be broken up and separated, just like we separate church and state, or the three branches of government - executive, legislature and judiciary.

Bye, Alex