Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Changes over time in US cardiology guidelines

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Jan 8, 2015.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I wonder what the figures are for other illnesses...?

This is from May-June 2014 - hope I'm not duplicating.

http://www.jwatch.org/na34765/2014/06/05/how-durable-are-strong-recommendations-made-practice

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Simon likes this.
  2. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Sorry - I don't know why it's appeared in italics. Can't seem to change it.

3. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Anything you quote appears in italics.

Sushi

MeSci likes this.
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    D'oh!

I was finding it hard to read. I've enlarged the text - hope that's better.

Sushi likes this.
  5. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Surely doctors are aware of this! This just makes me laugh -- I'm such a cynic.

6. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    They just don't get it. "Consensus" is not scientific, and neither is "opinion"!

I very much doubt it. They are too busy trying to see 20 patients an hour to do more than mindlessly follow the "guidelines".

In spite of research showing little benefit and a huge list of serious adverse effects, they are still prescribing statins by the truckload. After taking statins for years, my 78-year-old mom was finally forced to stop after she developed a problem with having to pee huge amounts at night. A few weeks later her slowly-developing "dementia" was miraculously cured!

Even for patients with previous stroke or coronary events, over 95% of patients who take statins for five years gained no benefit, while 10% were harmed by muscle damage. This happened to my next-door neighbor. After taking statins for some time, he couldn't lift a can of beer to his lips without pain. And for someone who drinks as much beer as my neighbor, this was a serious adverse effect, for sure!

Little Bluestem, MeSci and picante like this.
  7. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I'm also a cynic but find this a positive.

As, the author says, new evidence means things need to change.

This is how science works. I think having this published in JAMA, will help these findings translate to medical practice. Health insurance would also/hopefully, take these recommendations when approving cost of treatments treatments.:)

At least in theory.

BARB

MeSci likes this.
  8. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    If you get the email newsletter Physician's First Watch you will be struck by the number of long-accepted treatments, including surgical ones, that are eventually found to be ineffective.

A recent one is renal denervation :eek: for a type of hypertension. It don't work.

jimells likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.