August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Changes in the CMRC executive board (incl. Peter White)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Scarecrow, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    The draft minutes of the last board meeting have been circulated but are yet to be posted on AfME's website.

There have been two resignations. The board would like to bring in a genomics expert and an MRC-funded researcher to fill the vacancies.

The two outgoing members are Peter White and Paul Moss.

Kati, MEMum, SilverbladeTE and 9 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Scarecrow likes this.
  3. Scarecrow

Scotland
    Sasha likes this.
  4. Scarecrow

Scotland
    @Sasha

The minutes are on the MEA site. I tried your link and it does work: just takes a while to open the doc.

5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Oh! I didn't notice there was a doc that downloaded. I was expecting to see a webpage.

Thanks!

I see on MEA FB that Montoya is headlining the October conference. Good to see US researchers coming over for this. I think the IiME conference raises the bar and it's good to have two conferences a year - it's a chance for new stuff to break and to get those international collaborations going.

justy, SOC and Scarecrow like this.
  6. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth

Changes nothing I'm sure, but it's still a cheering thing.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    MEMum, Mark, halcyon and 3 others like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's great to see Peter White hitting the road :thumbsup: Though it sounds like Paul Moss did some pretty good research.

8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    There's actually some very interesting stuff in the minutes overall. Well worth reading the whole thing.

What's the Grand Challenge?

Simon likes this.
  9. Scarecrow

Scotland
    If you look at the meeting minutes at the AfME link above, PDW was rarely there anyway, so no real surprise that he has gone.
    Yes, and hopefully it's that which is responsible for keeping him too busy for the CMRC.

Sasha and Valentijn like this.
  10. Scarecrow

Scotland
    I don't recall it from the any of the previous minutes but I don't have time to look through them again at the moment.

Did you see they are discussing a website, too? That should help with communicating CMRC activities.

Sasha likes this.
  11. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Quick undigested post from me while my brain holds out. I've been a cheerleader for the CMRC but have been frustrated by the lack of output so far in terms on new well-funded high-quality studies. These minutes seem to take the bull by the horns.

Funding

Wellcome Trust are one of the big three funders and haven't come to play yet.
    NIHR is the huge NHS arm of UK research funding, focusing on clinical studies, and again haven't been involved much yet. PL is Paul Little.

Grand Challenge/establishing research priorities
    I'd understood the Grand Challenge to be an 'omics-led approach (genomics, metabalomics etc) to the illness.
    Not quite sure what this means but sounds like a start, and a call to action.

There was another bit where they discussed identifying researchers who could be involved (in 'omics work?), a kind of scoping study - as well as what priorities should be.
    added:
    See also this on patient/public involvement:
    and this
    I assume that's writing to all the MRC funding boards to ask for cash, which could potentially be big.

Bit short of detail here, but seems we mmay have tantalising glimpses of action

Outta gas. More later, maybe.

Dolphin, MEMum, Never Give Up and 7 others like this.
  12. Scarecrow

Scotland
    I think Paul Little is still on board, unless he has resigned since the last meeting. It is Paul Moss who has resigned. (Too many Pauls.)

Simon likes this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yes, that will be a big help - at the moment you have to go googling for bits and pieces about them which are splattered all over.

Scarecrow likes this.
  14. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

Would they fund a NZ researcher in genomics, proteomics, metabolomics? We have one fighting for funding in ME/CFS who is seriously top notch. Prof Warren Tate. Google him. Too tired to say more. Otago University.

15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks @Simon - very useful to have your interpretation.

The James Lind Alliance are very interesting and I've long thought they could play an important role for us:

Scarecrow and Simon like this.
  16. Scarecrow

Scotland
    The CMRC is for UK-based practitioners only. :(

Also they don't actually award research funds but one of their aims is to help researchers to access funds by improving the quality of applications.

Valentijn, Simon, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  17. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

whats the point being in a commonwealth. Maybe we should change our flag after all :)

justy, Sidereal, Bob and 3 others like this.
  18. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    Don't do that yet, if the UK pulls out of the EU we might need you

ukxmrv, Ritto, Bob and 3 others like this.
  19. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Step forward the Rituximab trials, both the large multi-clinic Norwegian study and maybe even more the UK IiME-funded studies that focus on trying to identify who responds and why by getting up close and perrsonal with B-cell biology.

MEMum, Scarecrow, John Mac and 4 others like this.
  20. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

As well as some of these new drugs that are possibly showing symptom relief that fluge and mella are looking into?

Scarecrow, Bob and Sasha like this.

See more popular forum discussions.