• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Change in personal "scent"? Meds/diet change or just ME/CFS issues?

Ok, this may seem to be an odd question but have any of you noticed a change in the way you smell? I'm not sure if its because I'm having a problem or not but I was curious. I've noticed in the last 6 weeks or so that my scent is changing. I don't even know how to explain it. I just know it's different. I know it's stronger, obviously, when I'm fighting a fever.

On top of that, I've noticed that my hair is getting oily faster. I used to wash my hair every other day because it would dry out if I didn't. Now, the hair at my scalp is getting oily but the ends are dry. It started about the time that I noticed the change in my "base scent."

Whatever is causing this change, I'm not sure. What I am sure of, I don't like the result. It makes me feel dirty - that could just be because it is a change in my body.

Let me tell you what has changed since this has started. I quit eating dairy, wheat & chocolate. My doctor put me on Metformin because I have polycystic ovaries which comes with insulin resistance. With that medicine, when I first started it, came horrible bowel issues (on top of what we already have problems with). I was having a hard time keeping any nutrition in me at all. I survived on rice and mashed potatoes.

So, I have a hard time with fruit and vegetables right now. They just make my bowel issues worse. My system is tolerating the medicine now. I talked to my doctor about this. With my CFS issues it allowed the side effects (bowel problems) of the Metformin to drag on longer than it would in a person without CFS.

So.....anybody else noticed that their "base scent" has changed or could it be that the change in med and severe change in diet along with the bowel issues have caused this?

Obviously, when I feel like I can step out of my house safely without having to run to the bathroom, I will go to the doctor but I thought I'd ask ya'll while I remembered to ask.

camas

I had a similar thing happen. My scent changed and my hair became much more oily. I chalked it up to perimenopause, because when I began taking hormone balancing herbs, both issues improved greatly.

xchocoholic

Your body is detoxing too from eliminating wheat, dairy and chocolate and toxins will make you smell off. Have you tried taking an epsom salt bath ? Or making yourself sweat somehow ? Also, I notice a different / off smell when I'm taking a supplement that my body can't process. I haven't experienced this lately but I remember that I used to back off of whatever and try it again some other time.

You might be interested in this aricle on carbs and polycystic ovaries ...

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/low-carb-gynecologist.html

V99

About 8 years into this, my skin started to taste really awful - when I licked my lips. This lasted for a numbers of years, but during that time, my symptoms improved. I was on no medication or diet at the time.

Tammie

I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to let you know that I have also noticed a definite change in how my body smells since getting sick.....have also had changes with my hair and scalp, though not the same as yours, and have had a ton of stomach issues

Victoria

Not sure if this is relevent to you (or anyone else), but I have noticed.
  • Meat eaters have a stronger body odour (than vegetarians)
  • if your bowels are not working properly, toxins are not expelled properly & are more likely to be expelled through other eliminative organs eg skin - by excess perspiration & strong body odour
  • antibiotics
  • parasites
  • dehydration ie. need to increase your intake of filtered water (& decrease or eliminate coffee & other caffiene drinks)
  • insufficient water intake may result in sluggish kidney function - you should drink enough water so that your urine is clear. This would vary for the individual. The only time your urine should be yellow is first pee in the morning when the urine has been sitting in your bladder for some time/overnight. B group vitamin supplementation turns your urine yellow. Beetroot turns your urine & stools reddish/crimson. Asparagus can cause a strong urine, or body smell. Other foods can cause strong body smells also - depends on the individual. But generally, your urine should be clear during the day time.
  • need to eat more fresh fruit & vegetables
  • hair oiliness can be poor diet, too much saturated fat, not enough healthy omega 3 oils
  • insufficient exposure to sun, vitamin D deficiency
  • I smell strongly of fish (when I eat fresh fish) - some people do not smell of fish, when they eat fish
  • "fasts" may cause strong body odour (as the body expels excess toxins).
  • changes in hormone levels
  • diabetes (or pre diabetes) can change body odour
  • too much suphur containing foods can change body odour
Too much of any one food can cause changes in the body, but if you have a healthy balanced diet (hard for many of us, as we often have food sensitivities and/or allergies, or malabsorption problems).

These are all just basic guidelines for anyone - CFS sufferer or a normal healthy person.