• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Change in my B12 situation

Hi there, I've been taking B12 5000mcg along with B complex and multivitamins plus Zinc since last August (9 months) and of recent I haven't been feeling too well. Slurred speech, feeling under the weather, like I'm operating in slow-motion, fuzzy headedness. I've also been on pain killers for back pain so I stopped all the medication for that and the B12 simultaneously to see what's what.
When I re-introduced the B12 (but not the pain killers) after 48 hours, I had a weird surge after sucking on the pill for a few minutes like alcohol, like my body was getting something it "needed" and then a few minutes later a sick feeling like over-dose.
Today I was going to take a half tablet.
Has anyone else experienced a weird change in B12 requirements after such a long period? Does the feeling of taking a tablet after missing a day indicate some kind of habituation bordering on a psychoactive effect? Any thoughts appreciated.
When I first started taking B12 my energy levels were sky high at the time, but it's difficult to say, with complex diet changes ,IBS etc, what's going on in such a complex set of symptoms and diet changes and never seeming to nail anything down.

Critterina

I take methyl B12 twice a day and find that I get grumpy when I don't. I suppose you could call that a psychoactive effect. I also felt pretty ill when I took zinc. Did you restart that, too?

One thing to think about is that there are thousands of things going on in your body at a time; it's not a constant system that you're introducing one change to, to see one result. If you try stopping and starting again a few times with the same reactions starting and stopping consistently, then it's time to think about attributing cause and effect. One observation doesn't get you very far. Of course, you have to decide which reactions to risk when you experiment on yourself like we do.

Critterina

@TheChosenOne and @Martial ,

If you put the "@" sign right before the person's name, we'll all know who you are asking. Otherwise I get my email and read the question out of context and may or may not reply.

So, assuming you both mean me (and maybe Martial means TheChosenOne, of course,) I take sublingual methylcobalamin B12 5000 mg from Piping Rock. I do not take it at the same time as methylfolate, but I do take methylfolate. Usually there's at least 20 minutes after my first B12 before the folate because I take the B12 with my morning thyroid and my folate with breakfast.

I don't take Methyl Folate, it's just Methyl B12 5000. I have IBS and responded really well to taking MB12 and Zinc including changes to Psoriasis and improved energy, so much so I would call myself chronic low on B12.

To date I never got to grips with my dietry issues, and it's only recently that the effects of the vitamins have waned. The back pain is something else.