• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chalder & Wessely - Functional(Psychogenic)Neurological disorders 6 Sep

slysaint

I have been reading up on FND and watched a video (Australian) where patients and their neurologist discuss what happened to them.
The patient support website FND Hope has some interesting information.
https://fndhope.org/fnd-guide/diagnosis/misdiagnosed/

"...misdiagnosis is a probability with all illness. Studies can be interpreted many different ways and different inclusion and exclusion scenarios can impact the results."

"It is important that functional diagnoses derive from positive signs not negative test results. It is also imperative that not all symptoms are labeled functional and that assumptions are not made that functional symptoms are not co-existing or the result of organic illness."

"
Some in the medical community mistake medical uncertainty with “all in your head”. It is imperative doctors not equate functional symptoms with “all in your head”and not insinuate one means the other.
This poor practice of assuming medical uncertainty means a psychogenic cause often effects tens of millions of patients throughout the US and UK alone".

"When doctors are faced with medical uncertainty, they sometimes assume their patient’s cause of illness is psychogenic in nature. This assumption can lead to patients being denied medical care and receiving psychiatric care instead or no care at all."

So I'm guessing the (Psychogenic) part might not have gone down very well with sufferers(?)
It might explain why Chalder and Wessely were there..........self-promoting(?) getting in on the act.

Large Donner

I like this bit...

"When doctors are faced with medical uncertainty, they sometimes assume their patient’s cause of illness is psychogenic in nature. This assumption can lead to patients being denied medical care and receiving psychiatric care instead or nocare at all."

It basically ranks no care at all 3rd and makes the assumption that psychiatric care is better than no care even when the problem is not psychiatric.

Its like saying when we dont know whats wrong being denied medical care is bad but being sent to a mechanic would be better than no care.