• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFSAC meeting Oct 3-4, 2012

SOC

I feel that there is such a disconnect between the committee members and the public speakers.

They might as well be taken place in different rooms. Because there is no feedback or discussion back and forth, there is no way to gauge whether anyone is even paying attention to us.

I agree, but part of it is that some of the speakers are getting right up in their faces. Most people don't respond well to being publicly criticized, especially if they feel they're not personally responsible for the behaviors being criticized.

The individuals at the table seem to be wanting to help -- if somewhat ineffectively. I'm not sure how they can respond to some of these public comments. In the moment, anyway.

jimells

Um, why are we getting a long lecture on the history of the FDA?

Running out the clock is a time-tested technique for gving non-answers that appear to be useful. Ever watch a congressional committee meeting on C-SPAN? Those people are expert at appearing to say something while actually just lip-flapping...

SOC

Oh yeah, this is a really helpful presentation for the US patient population.

maddietod

That last one confused me. Are there ME criteria (link?) that are different from the CFS Canadian criteria?

SOC

Courtney Miller did a great job, too. Wonderful conclusion to the public testimony. :)

SOC

Doesn't it sound like a series of vicious circles? We can't get funding because there are not enough proposals, but there's not enough proposals because there's no funding. We can't get a good team of experts evaluating proposals because there's so few researchers that the same people who want to propose research would be the same ones evaluating the research. :thumbdown: But we can't get more researchers into the field if there's no funding.... It just keeps going around and around and around....