1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFSAC meeting Oct 3-4, 2012

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Andrew, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Thank you jspotila for testifying. I know it's not easy to do..especially when so sick. I appreciate it.
    justinreilly, jspotila and Sasha like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Very interesting - thanks for doing all that work. The lack of knowledge of CFSAC members at the last meeting was a big shock to me - your detailed blog post helps explain why. Too much of that meeting was spent with them trying to catch up to a point where useful discussion could begin.

Are you going to bring this up at the meeting?
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Can we ask more of the big names to sit in? Maybe we as a group/ or the advocate group can send letters to the dedicated institutions like Simarron, WPI, PANU, Standford..... To see if they can nominate representatives!!!!
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    On funding, if we took a massive cut to what would be fair and balanced funding for us, it would still be a 15 fold increase on current funding.
    Sasha likes this.
  5. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Who votes on which nominees get in?
  6. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

No, my testimony will be focused on the lack of measurable progress and the resulting frustration and despair we feel.
    SOC and Sasha like this.
  7. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Anyone can submit a nomination. The Committee publishes calls for nominations every couple years, and anyone can submit. Both the CFIDS Association and PANDORA have submitted multiple names in the last few rounds, including nominees from Simarron and WPI.
    lnester7 likes this.
  8. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

The Secretary for Health and Human Services approves the nominations. I suspect the process involves the DFO (Nancy Lee) reviewing all nominations submitted and probably making recommendations to Assistant Secretary Koh which then get approved by Secretary Sebelius.
  9. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Thanks, Jenny, for your hard work digging these things out and bringing them to our attention -- especially since you are not feeling well.
    jspotila likes this.
  10. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I submitted a copy of my testimony on time, and got a "thank you" response. I wonder when they are going to tell us which time slot we are in.
    Nielk likes this.
  11. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  12. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I just sent the following:

13. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Does anyone know if they're having live streaming video this time? I didn't see anything about it on their website. I sent an e-mail asking, but haven't heard back yet.
  14. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

CFSAC will be streamed online again this time, thanks to everyone who wrote, called, e-mailed the government about the need for this.

Here is the link to watch. There is nothing if you press play right now since the meeting will not be until Oct 3-4. I am also going to do a new post to attract more attention.

http://www.hhs.gov/live/
  15. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
  16. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I was just looking at the agenda. Can we assume those times are Eastern Daylight Time???
  17. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Yep, Eastern time.
  18. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I'm pretty impressed with Dimitrakoff. Seems like he has a good scientific approach to creating cohorts, which is rather necessary if the CDC continues using their CFS definition. Also good focus on pointing out that they don't know what's going on, that they need to be able to admit that, and then starting from there they can try to figure things out.
    WillowJ likes this.
  19. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Dr. Maier is being a wall -- every year researchers ask for money and get nothing. In times when NIH was doing well, CFS recevied little funding; now they're using the budget again as an excuse.
  20. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I missed the intro ... who's the woman named "Susan" who keeps giving the bureaucratic answers? I don't see Howard Koh either.

And I was a little annoyed with the suggestion that ME patients/advocates/doctors get involved with the chronic pain committee or whatever. It's not about pain!

On the other hand, it was nice to see most people call it ME/CFS, though one serious researcher (Mary Ann Fletcher) kept saying "chronic fatigue" :p I also think some people (committee members?) at the end did a good job pressing the bureaucrat about funding.
    Kati likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.