1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFSAC Agenda is up!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by SpecialK82, May 4, 2011.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch dxrevisionwatch.com

UK

Just a couple of points about this report.

The report in Ann's link states:

"Worse yet, are the potential risks of having CFS be placed under the proposed category of "Chronic Complex System Disorders", in the forthcoming Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), effective May 2013. One of the attorneys on the CFSAC panel warned this could have disastrous results, particularly for patients seeing doctors who are not well educated about CFS. They could be erroneously lumped in with this somatic disorder group and affect disability benefits as there are two year limits for certain mental disorders."

The proposed category "CSSD" is

Complex Somatic Symptom Disorder

not "Chronic Complex System Disorders".

I have asked Dr Gurwitt if the name of the proposed disorder can be corrected in the report.

Whilst it is not the case that the DSM-5 Somatic Symptom Disorders (SSD) Work Group for the Somatoform Disorders categories are proposing that CFS, per se, should be classified within the forthcoming DSM under "Somatic Symptom Disorders" -

it is the case, that illnesses and conditions like CFS, ME, IBS and FM (often described as medically unexplained or bundled together under Functional Somatic Syndromes) may be particularly vulnerable to the potential for the application of an additional diagnosis of a Somatic Symptom Disorder under the current DSM-5 Work Group draft proposals, or misdiagnosed with CSSD, instead.
  2. insearchof

insearchof Senior Member

Hi Suzy

This is very interesting

The report in Ann's link states:

Essentially, after 2 years - persons with a CFS diagnosis will be forced back into the work force.

In Australia, the government has just come out and said that it will be cracking down on and forcing persons on DSP back into the work force and it looks from all accounts, that those with CFS and soft mental diagnoses are likely targets.

The big global picture suggests we really live in a village.
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Rita Sanderson emailed me to state that the error in the CSSD section pointed out by Suzy has been fixed.

See more popular forum discussions.