Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS victim Theda Myint locked up at Fremantle Hospital after euthanasia attempt

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by ixchelkali, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    This is the latest development in the case of severe ME/CFS sufferer Theda Myint in Western Australia.
    http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/c...a-attempt-20110419-1dmuu.html?from=watoday_sb

For those who haven't been following her story, WA Today has written a series of sympathetic articles about Theda Myint's efforts to get treatments, including appeals to the health minister. The main problem is that the weekly at-home IV treatments that help alleviate her symptoms aren't covered, and going to the emergency room to get exacerbates her MCS.

You can read some of the earlier stories here. Scroll down for a series of links.

2. Tulip

Tulip Guest

The Australian health care system is completely useless when it comes to ME. It does not help that her mum is poor either, it significantly reduces what treatments can be tried. It clearly shows that nothing has changed in this country since Alison Hunter died in 1996.

3. leaves

leaves Senior Member

This is so sad. Poor Theda.

4. TinyT

TinyT Senior Member

Australia
    Oh dear, that's so awful. Poor Theda.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Which is why many patients try to avoid it as much as possible. You never know when you are going to get the doctor from hell, or even if a well meaning one misinterprets you....

All the best, Theda. Sorry I can't do more.

6. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Washington
    I am crying and angry at the same time after reading this. I can't believe the way they treated her! They denied her food because of allergies?! Hospitals have special diets for people that need them. Why was Theda the exception? It sounds as if they were trying to punish her. It is so unfair.

I wish there was more that could be done for her.

7. Tulip

Tulip Guest

Yes hospitals can come up with all sorts of special diets. I think they just thought she was nuts and if she was hungry enough she would eat whatever. Typical really. Amazing how all biomedical abnormalities are ignored in cases of ME.

All I can say to people with ME is whatever you do, don't go to emergency! :Retro mad:

8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Here is what you can do:

-tweet the paper that wrote this article @WAtoday
    -write on the "Help Theda" facebook wall in support for her and her family. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Theda/308042782458
    -write to the government in Australia asking to help Theda and offer humane, compassionate and medical care that meets her needs http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Parliament/Memblist.nsf/WAllMembersFlat/Hames, Kim Desmond

This hopefully will show that the world is looking at Australia to do the right thing.

9. Tulip

Tulip Guest

I think it would be better to write to prime minister julia gillard, it's past the time to write to the wa health minister - he has proven he does not give a crap. Time to go straight to the top, also I think that the mainstream media should be made aware of this, shows such as 60 minutes, sunrise and the today show have a lot of power and are nationwide.

If anyone contacts any of these PLEASE do not call it chronic fatigue syndrome or cfs!! Use the proper disease name ME.

http://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm

10. insearchof

insearchof Senior Member

Has the Australian Society assisted or offered to assist Theda's family? I would have thought, given the high profile of the matter, that they could really use this case to push and make noise in ways that you suggest Tulip, to get help for Theda but also to elevate and promote information on the severity of ME.

11. Min

Min Guest

UK
    letter here, with relevant email addresses, to email to Australian ministers:

http://niceguidelines.blogspot.com/

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Many thanks for the comprehensive list of e-mails. I had already written the prime minister and Kim Hames. I'll send more e-mails now. This ignorance and wilful neglect is tragic.

See more popular forum discussions.