Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS Subject Perceptions About Emergency Department Encounters

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

From the IACFS/ME conference

[Comment: I remember highlighting the request. This is not as interesting as I would have liked but perhaps they will write a full paper which could be more interesting perhaps]

barbc56, Valentijn, Woolie and 2 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    As mentioned on another thread, when I was taken into A&E quite recently with chest pain, I was told by the doc not to mention that I had received a diagnosis of ME as I would be treated 'unkindly' by the A&E staff. ME was, he said, a diagnosis given to people who were mentally ill. Meanwhile a local GP told me that they regarded people with the diagnosis with even more 'contempt' than they do people with clinical depression. Mind blowing!

Zombie_Lurker and Woolie like this.
  3. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I have been on the emergency ward in a hospital with sudden worsening of ME. I couldn't move my legs and was slipping in and out of consciousness one morning. My mother called the GP, he came to see me and called an ambulance even though I said I didn't want to go to hospital because I knew they couldn't do anything anyways. They ran some standard tests, nothing showed up and they send me home.
    I wasn't treated very badly but it was very obvious no one understood what was going on with me. It was a frightening experience and i would have rather stayed home to rest. Just the trip to the hospital only made things worse afterwards because it depleted me of energy I didn't have to begin with. There was no treatment of any symptom. They just told me they don't know what ME is and can't treat it yet.

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

When reading this study, its worth remembering that people in the US (where the study was done) do seem to use ED's differently from people in countries with more centralised health systems. I lived in Pennsylvania for a few years, worked in a hospital, and noticed that a much larger proportion of patients had complaints of a non-urgent nature than you would find in, say the UK, Australia or New Zealand (this might have something to do with subsidies for low income people?)

I mention it because it probably means US EDs need a different and perhaps wider skill set.

barbc56 and Sidereal like this.
  5. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Two important things about US healthcare: the emergency department cannot turn people away; and people who don't have health insurance use the ED instead of a regular doctor.

See more popular forum discussions.