• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS storyline in "Doctors" BBC1 lunchtime soap

Cinders66

I'm not sure if it's the BBC trying to show how the illness isn't taken seriously and is trivialising but that's exactlily how it looks but not so far in a condemnatory way. CFS is joked about not being thought of as real and an excuse for being lazy (yawn) , then the dr assures him he doesn't think that but in no way is the knowledge imparted to the patient that this is a serious often chronic, multi system disease which has to be carefully managed to reduce chance of disability, in fact the dr abbreviates it to chronic fatigue and recommends a sleep diary ( advice which is received cheerily?) , after the other dr seems to think telling an ill patient there's nothing showing up on tests is therefore good news. I sure hope things get portrayed a lot better and I'm not sure even if it is that it will achieve a possibly hoped for aim, as this is a drop In & out type program where some might just see Drs treating CFS like an unimportant joke and that's the take home message. 2017 folks.

Last edited:

Cinders66

Perhaps we need to stop the ME/CFS story as talking about controversies and draw a line between the good science validating this as a serious illness and the dismissal, usually based on ignorance, which should be being buried in history.

ladycatlover

I sure hope things get portrayed a lot better and I'm not sure even if it is that it will achieve a possibly hoped for aim, as this is a drop In & out type program where some might just see Drs treating CFS like an unimportant joke and that's the take home message. 2017 folks.

I think it's fairly true to life in that it can take ages to go through the gamut of tests needed to exclude stuff. Also many/most GPs don't have a lot of clue as to what CFS can be like. So it wouldn't surprise me if this was a slow burn story that comes up every few episodes - Doctors have done that before (eg Mrs Tembe being bullied by that ghastly manager bloke, Valerie's lymphoma story, can't think of others offhand right now as just bid goodbye to grandkids after visitation and brain suffering somewhat! :sluggish:). I live in hopes it will come good eventually - time will tell!

You may wonder why I watch Doctors... It comes on at that just after (or sometimes during) lunch slot when you feel you need a break. Plus come summer it's at the time of day when I need to be inside and out of the sun and heat... OK I know we don't get that many days like that, but we do get some!

Cinders66

I think it's fairly true to life in that it can take ages to go through the gamut of tests needed to exclude stuff. Also many/most GPs don't have a lot of clue as to what CFS can be like. So it wouldn't surprise me if this was a slow burn story that comes up every few episodes - Doctors have done that before (eg Mrs Tembe being bullied by that ghastly manager bloke, Valerie's lymphoma story, can't think of others offhand right now as just bid goodbye to grandkids after visitation and brain suffering somewhat! :sluggish:). I live in hopes it will come good eventually - time will tell!

You may wonder why I watch Doctors... It comes on at that just after (or sometimes during) lunch slot when you feel you need a break. Plus come summer it's at the time of day when I need to be inside and out of the sun and heat... OK I know we don't get that many days like that, but we do get some!

I don't wonder at all why pwME are in at home watching light daytime tv, that's what half of us exist doing isn't it as we wait for treatment and can't do much else?

ladycatlover

@ladycatlover I am sure we all appreciate your self sacrificing efforts on our behalf. Above and beyond the call of duty, I would say. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

LOL :rofl: :D :whistle: @Chrisb I have to confess to a sneaky liking for Doctors. :redface: Plus it keeps me out of the heat of the sun in summer - had a skin scare last year (all was OK), so stay indoors over the mid day times when possible. Not really ashamed - it's Holby City that I'm more ashamed of! :nervous: :redface: :redface: :redface: :nervous:

Chrisb

LOL :rofl: :D :whistle: @Chrisb I have to confess to a sneaky liking for Doctors. :redface: Plus it keeps me out of the heat of the sun in summer - had a skin scare last year (all was OK), so stay indoors over the mid day times when possible. Not really ashamed - it's Holby City that I'm more ashamed of! :nervous: :redface: :redface: :redface: :nervous:

I wouldn't have said that , had I thought it would be taken in the wrong spirit!

hellytheelephant

You will be relieved to hear you don't have to watch Doctors today :cool: as Karl's story didn't feature. :) The 4 male docs are sleeping in the woods overnight in a sweat lodge they just built, :lol: while Zara and thingy finally made it to the spa where they're doing some course or other about being nicer people :rofl: after nearly being chased by a bull (or cow?) :eek: then held prisoner by a bagpipe playing Scotsman :eek:... So I don't think there'll be more on Karl till after Easter. I'll prob keep an eye on it tomorrow though, just in case! :vomit: :meh:

That plot synopsis -that's just an average day at our GP practice! You can't GET an appointment round here when they're all at the sweat lodge.....;)

sarah darwins

I have to confess to a sneaky liking for Doctors. :redface:

Don't be embarrassed! There are probably about 3 people on PR who would say they've never been addicted to a rubbish soap opera at some point .. and they're probably lying ;-)

I'm soap-free at the moment, but just reading your updates on Doctors I think I might get withdrawal if you stop posting now!

ladycatlover

Oh oh. Is it just me being paranoid and negative that I find it a little disturbing that after only a week of covering CFS on the show, a new therapist has been introduced to the show pushing psychiatric treatment and CBT? :thumbdown: Can't be just co-incidence... Surely?

She did mention Transactional Analysis I think. Though I have to say I'd be surprised if that was available on NHS.

I've been remiss in not continuing to report on Karl's ongoing story - not been feeling so great the last few days. I'll try and do a catch up on it and fill you in soon(ish). Had to cancel haircut today, tomorrow have dentist (1 of 2) that I really want to get over ASAP so will go even if feel carp. My dentist is very kind, so understands, so even on not very good days it's possible to go.

Et voila. Nurse/sister of CFS dude is discussing it with fellow doctor and he lightly mentions CBT response in children but also mentions that not everyone agrees with it.

And cue the psych/CBT therapist who was conveniently introduced to the show only yesterday; no less.

Not a co-incidence at all is it :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head:

The coverage is relatively sympathic and quite realistic so far which is nice to see but here's hoping he's not miraculously cured in a week or two after a couple of sessions :thumbdown: :meh:

charles shepherd

As previously noted, the MEA was consulted about this medical soap opera storyline some time ago and we gave appropriate information and guidance on various controversies surrounding ME/CFS

Part of the storyline is supposed to illustrate differing views amongst health professionals about nomenclature, diagnosis, cause and management of ME/CFS

We don't have any control over the scripts or storyline - so I suspect that there are going to be parts of this storyline that people with ME/CFS will approve of and not approve of as it moves along next week

'Doctors' is transmitted on BBC1 TV at about 1.40pm each day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mh9v/broadcasts/2017/04

Last edited:

Ambrosia_angel

But exactly what are they supposed to do?

The show is there to present real life situations and patients being offered CBT and GET is something that usually happens right after being diagnosed.

It's unrealistic to expect the doctors to tell the man about all the medical developments and offer him a rutaximab trial straight away. This does not happen to any ME patient being treated in the NHS.

Yes it's not nice but let's be realistic. The best they can do is portray how the illness affects patients severely physically and emotionally. They can show the disconnect between ones previously normal life and their current debilitating life. They can talk about patients being misdiagnosed. They can talk about the NHS lack of research. They can talk about stigma, prejudice and how the illness is very real!

One thing they can't do is not show the patient being offered CBT, GET and a sleep diary because that just doesn't happen in real life.

It will be interesting to see how well the storyline pans out but i wouldn't expect anything more than what most people go through in real life.

Cinders66

So now the guy newly ill, looking all poorly in bed decides counselling and rehabilitation are the way for him. He's now out of bed and going back to work in the army. He announces it to the dr/housemate who says are you sure, then adds that he too wants new challenges and to push himself. His doctors and nurse sister have been extremely casual about this return to work, now he's off on a plane.

Esther12

So now the guy newly ill, looking all poorly in bed decides counselling and rehabilitation are the way for him. He's now out of bed and going back to work in the army. He announces it to the dr/housemate who says are you sure, then adds that he too wants new challenges and to push himself. His doctors and nurse sister have been extremely casual about this return to work, now he's off on a plane.

Wow - Crawley is such a hero!