1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS section of GWS manual

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Andrew, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I am looking only at the section of the GWS treatment guide that says it addresses CFS. It begins on page 97. I was not able to do the entire section. I only picked two things out of the treatment section that I know the most about.

Graded exercise:
    They recommend graded exercise. And to support this, they reference three web sites that offer no citations to back up their claims. The IOM also cites two journal articles. The first is called The Neuroendocrinology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It says nothing about graded exercise helping CFS patients. The second paper, called Endorphins and Exercise, doesn’t even deal with CFS. The IOM panel also fails to mention the studies that show negative effects from exercise.

Pharmaceuticals:
    They only mention pain control and sleep. In contrast, the Canadian Consensus document includes a section on pharmaceuticals for a much wider range of symptoms. I also know of two books that cover a wide range of pharmaceuticals along with citations.

I've seen better work from high school students.

Here's what the IOM says about their review process.
    I added the bold lettering above. What this means is they accept no responsibility for the final product.
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    :mad:

I wonder if we could have a campaign to write each of those people 20,000 emails with real data about "CFS".
    lnester7 likes this.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Is Jim Jones alive and well on PR?

Left Coast
    What a bunch idiots. I have one working brain cell and I can make more sense than them.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think we need to be careful in interpreting reviewers involvement. Reviewers see the report produced by the panel and produce comments and suggestions. They are not part of the panel. As a result they have no control over the report aside from their suggestions.

Having said that the commentary looks like something you could cook up using Wikiepedia for a few hours. "Evidence" based in this case means uncritical cherry-picking of unsubstantiated claims?
  5. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    They say this also in the section you quote:
    "Responsibility for the final content of the report rests entirely with
    the authoring committee and the institution."

So IoM does take some responsibility for the report, contrary to what Kate Meck said in response to David Egan. (also of course they do bear responsibility, no matter what they claim)

See more popular forum discussions.