May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS patients have no reason to accept the PACE trial results: Response to Keith J Petrie and John We

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Jun 28, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Latest critique on things PACE related in the Journal of Health Psychology.
    Full open access at http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317715476#.WVNUcV3BB4E

One thing that I think is incorrect is "As a result of the serious impact of activity on CFS patients, the Institute recommended renaming post-exertional malaise (PEM) to Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease (IOM, 2015b: 11)". I believe it should say that the recommendation was for CFS to be renamed, not PEM.

ETA: As Susanna seems to be involved with MEAction Australia, I contacted them to point out the above potential mistake, they said they'd pass the info along.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Great opening salvo:

"Petrie and Weinman are much occupied with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients’ beliefs about their illness and the PACE trial (White et al., 2011). Instead, they need to occupy themselves with evidence."

moosie, Dolphin, Barry53 and 28 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's all well worth reading, but these are my favorite bits:

moosie, aaron_c, Dolphin and 26 others like this.
  4. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

Great response

moosie, Dolphin, dangermouse and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Strictly speaking, the results show that if patients are deconditioned, then CBT and GET are not effective treatments for that deconditioning.

Which is not the same as disproving deconditioning, though it certainly offers no support for it either.

Problem is that they have never properly tested that rather critical assumption of deconditioning, and empirically verified that patients are, in fact, deconditioned (significantly more than otherwise healthy sedentary people).

They could have saved themselves a lot of embarrassment and trouble if they had.

6. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    This is great - another good bit:

If only!

7. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

I agree -- a very worthwhile article. I clicked on the author's name to see what I could learn about Susanna Agardy. It appears she has been involved with ME/CFS Australia for several years.

"Search Google Scholar" provided a list of articles/letters written by her, including one of the best descriptions of "pacing" (as opposed to PACE) I've read. It can be found here:

http://sacfs.asn.au/news/2009/12/12_10_exercise_guidance_note.htm

MEMum, dangermouse, Barry53 and 13 others like this.
  8. Mohawk1995

Mohawk1995 Senior Member

The unfortunate outcome of the continued controversy about the PACE trial and intimidation of researchers in the CFS field has increased the likelihood of deterring quality researchers from working in the area’. First, there is no justification for linking legitimate critical debate about PACE with ‘intimidation of researchers’.

What is most unfortunate outcome is that the "victimizers" are now claiming to be the victims. As one of my favorite quotes by Harry S Truman (from my home state) notes "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

The PACE folks can't take the heat evidently. Maybe they should find another topic to research. Or maybe they should just "get out of the kitchen". If you can't take criticism, and it isn't always easy to take, you should move on to something else.

9. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Who is she exactly? Had a hard time finding out exactly. Is she a patient as well??

Luther Blissett, Joh and BurnA like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    From my now limited memory I think it was both. They wanted to rename CFS to SEID, and PEM to PENE. Or am I confusing that with some other report? So there were two renamings and they might have been confused?

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes. I have known Susana for a very long time, here in Australia.

MEMum, Barry53, Grigor and 6 others like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    GET is not about reversing deconditioning - because it is intense activity that is required to increase exercise capacity. GET as designed cannot increase this and that is why there is no evidence that GET reverses deconditioning.

GET is about changing beliefs about activity and exercise - GET is a psychological therapy.

13. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Oh no, were going to lose Dr Davis :rofl:
    Their point is well taken, lies have consequences and not the good kind.

14. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

Incisive. Like a knife.

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Doesn't matter whether GET is operating directly or indirectly (or both) on physical deconditioning.

The basic claim made by the BPSers for both GET and CBT is that, one way or another, they can at least create the conditions that allow physical reconditioning to take place, and neither have proved able to do so.

The exact mechanism by which they are supposed to do that is largely irrelevant for the purposes of practical clinical outcomes. The bottom line is that they simply can't do it.

16. Alvin2

Ah but in our culture lies have a life of their own, many think if you believe a lie strongly enough it becomes fact :bang-head:

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Or as the late Terry Pratchett put it:
    A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots

18. Alvin2

Indeed, i've never heard that one, but from Star Trek, "A good lie is easier to believe then the truth"

mango, Luther Blissett, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  19. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    This a 100% classic tactic used by every subtlety abusive person I have ever known.

20. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I think and hope that some researchers will be deterred - the cr*p ones. Who of course almost by definition are deemed to be good by the BPS crew.

See more popular forum discussions.