Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS Patient Advocate take on FDA Blood Study Advisory meeting

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by LJS, Dec 15, 2010.

1. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
  2. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

If CFS gets cured this guy needs to write professional comedy. He is friggin' hilarious.

"Dr. John Coffin was doing his very best to confuse the issues. This behavior involved his usual obnoxious grandstanding and self-preening - trying to display his superior intellect in parsing these issues. Dr. John Coffin is immediately recognizable to the Patient Advocate as a person of the PA’s generation – infinity compromising and perverse - and the PA is both embarrassed and nauseated that he shares this man's culture. Dr. Coffin is a leading light of “The Stupidest Generation” (in the history of the world)."

3. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I always love the PA's take on things. His report doesn't exactly inspire confidence in those protecting the nation's blood supply, now does it? Yet, in the end, the committee somehow managed to do the right thing...this time.

4. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    What was Stoye doing their anyway? I mean this was not an international conference kind of situation. This was an American group, talking about the issue for the American blood products. Was Stoye there because he's Dr. Coffin's friend??

Did anyone notice that there were no negative presentation?? I was kinda surprised and figured the vote was decided before hand since there were no negative presentation to balance out the positive ones. Maybe that's why Stoye was there. He was the negative balance???

5. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I wondered why a UK virologist was invited to speak too. I still haven't forgiven that [expletive deleted] Stoye for grabbing and covering Mikovits' microphone at the last meeting.

6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

I don't always agree with the PA but I always love his posts - and this was one of his best.....a tour de force...

7. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    agree to agree cort!

8. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I'm wondering the same. So far i am not aware of any work this man has done in regards to XMRV or ME/CFS... is there any?? What would make them choose him? Maybe Coffin didn't want this job and proposed Stoye, who knows...

9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

They co-authored 18 papers

10. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Yeah, but is this the best situation for take your friend to work day? The disturbing thing is Family Guy's blather and taking control of situations. Where does that power come from - if anywhere?

11. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Stoye and Coffin co-authored the article "A New Virus for Old Diseases" that accompanied the Lombardi paper in Science (Oct 8, 2010).

They don't appear to have an issue with general idea of XMRV causing disease. Which brings up a point I think was relevant to the politics behind all of this. Where was the discussion of a ban on blood donations from prostate cancer patients (or even all reproductive cancer patients given the Singh patent application)?

12. George

South Texas
    Dang that's just the question I was asking on another thread. I kinda thought Stoye was there to provide opposition and Coffin to make the process look rigorous, with tough questions. But really even the tough questions were easily shot down and the confidence was high. There were no negative studies presented at all.

I thought it was a dog and pony show for a decision that was already in the bag.

13. CBS

CBS Senior Member

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2805%2971029-1/fulltext

Some excerpts from the above link and my parenthetical comments on his hero.

14. George

South Texas
    Now that was enlightening CBS, especially the parenthetical comments on his hero. (growllllllll)

I have to agree with floyguy (grins) This really is not the best time for bring you best friend to work day.

Stoye obviously has a serious vested interest in what is going on to be in these positions of power at major XMRV related events. I think a protest may well be in order. I'm surprised that people in the NIH/FDA/DHHS have allowed his participation in the FDA panel. It looks like he was invited as a speaker then, muscled his way into a more important role. It makes me question Dr. Coffin's ethics and the appropriateness of the decisions being made here.

15. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

You almost think they felt they needed a Brit there...but why?

That is hilarious CBS...

The guy obviously has a sense of humor but I liked this

Hopefully he's missing the most deeply buried and biggest fish of all.

If XMRV turns out I suggest we all mass email him and say...It WAS your career :) and "The biggest fish sure did hide deepest, didn't they?"........

:angel::angel::angel::angel:

16. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Any possibility that we could protest over a potential conflict of interest for Stoye and any input McClure might have in the future? After all, don' they work for that institution that has docs filed as top secret by the British Government? Might be able to argue that they can't be transparent about what they know or what they might not be able to tell in a public setting or to a foreign government. Even if that foreign government they're protecting is the US. Heh, heh!

17. Valb626

Valb626

You know, my notes may not have made it clear that Stoye's presentation included a discussion of the negative studies. I have the hand-out from his presentation, too, but it would really make me gag (not env or pol) to have to post his slides. Is anyone dying to see them today, rather than waiting until the FDA gets around to it?

18. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    CBS, haha LoVe it--- Stein was a imperialist tool.....huh what does that make Stoye?

I think I will start writing all the feds that I object to this particular brit being imported......someone like Andy Gill though = aokay

19. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Obviously he (Coffin) considers himself to be a very big fish then, because that's what i feel he has been doing since the XMRV story started. He's hiding very deep down and letting the other fish expose themselves and take position :cool:

But how could he benefit from that? I don't get it...

20. George

South Texas
    Val
    Did I total miss something, I though his stated role on the agenda was as a guest speaker to give an overview of the virology?? Why would he be giving a presentation on the negative papers?? Was he listed as a presenter?

And what the hel9 was an invited speaker doing questioning the schedualed presenters or do I have that wrong??

I think I'm with Xray on this and a few firey letters to Collins, Sebillus, and Mangan are in order asking exactly what is his role in an American Federal Committee?!?!?!

If you don't mind posting the information Val, I know it makes the stomach roil but maybe we can get some ammo out of it to gun this guy down.

See more popular forum discussions.