• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/overtraining

Yeah I know what you mean. I would do comfortable 20 mile runs on a Sunday. I wasn't super fast unless I trained for speed for a specific race. But I miss that ability to go out and just run and be in nature.

I have also put on about a stone (I'm only 5ft 3"!) and this has gotten to me too. I feel sluggish and unfit. The running also uses to help my mental health so much. It was how I dealt with things. I would run when I felt sad / angry / confused etc and would work it all out on the trails.

Panda X

Panda you sound like a soul mate! I'm only 5' 6" and put on 1/2 stone already!! Love the long Saturday runs to chill out and get things in order/perspective. I also used running as my friend circle as well so when you can't run its not the same is it?

How old are you panda? Seems along time left without running! X

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Re the weight thing, I lost a lot of weight near the start from diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting, but later put on a lot of weight and to my horror became borderline obese. I finally got back to a healthy weight - not by exercising but by pacing more rigorously and changing my diet, plus adding some supplements. Pacing means resisting the urge to do stuff, and it takes a lot of self-discipline, but if you have ME/CFS it is vital. Some people use a heart-rate monitor to help them stay within their boundaries.

Many of us (but not all, it seems) do best if we cut out gluten and reduce grains and sugar. As a vegan, I also don't have dairy, which is another food that is often removed in a leaky-gut diet - a diet that benefits many of us.

There is a whole sub-forum on leaky gut here.

Re the weight thing, I lost a lot of weight near the start from diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting, but later put on a lot of weight and to my horror became borderline obese. I finally got back to a healthy weight - not by exercising but by pacing more rigorously and changing my diet, plus adding some supplements. Pacing means resisting the urge to do stuff, and it takes a lot of self-discipline, but if you have ME/CFS it is vital. Some people use a heart-rate monitor to help them stay within their boundaries.

Many of us (but not all, it seems) do best if we cut out gluten and reduce grains and sugar. As a vegan, I also don't have dairy, which is another food that is often removed in a leaky-gut diet - a diet that benefits many of us.

Yes looks like I'll have to look at diet ....I'm a veggie but get away with bad food habits due to the milage!! But for my weight I only need 1700kc a day without exercise so that's not much really!!

But guess it's the only way!

I'll check out the sub forum. Thankyou

Panda you sound like a soul mate! I'm only 5' 6" and put on 1/2 stone already!! Love the long Saturday runs to chill out and get things in order/perspective. I also used running as my friend circle as well so when you can't run its not the same is it?

How old are you panda? Seems along time left without running! X

I'm 28. One of my dreams is to complete the Western States 100. And it still is on the list!

I'm hoping to take it easy for a year or two and then gradually build up again. Sometimes I can managed a 2-3 mile plod. And I mean plod! Like 12 minute miles. But then I can't run for a week. But I love to run so much. That's why I have started walking instead :)

I miss my running club buddies. I moved to London to live with my partner after I left my job in August and the club was back in Southampton. I loved our winter cross country races on a Sunday followed by the pub and cake!

Maybe we should start a CFS plodding support group! It's priorities I guess. I don't have children. So my tiny bit of energy I get I want to spend on my feed. CFS has stolen so much from me. But I still have a working pair of legs! So I shall damn well use them! I'm a typical stubborn ultra runner!

Panda X

I am vegan too :)

They suggested I was over training too. However I had been having periods of sever pain and fatigue over the previous years. I'd also reduced my training as it was coming to winter before the marathon and was only running three times a week so a low amount for me and I felt really well! Untill that dreaded week.

I pushed through with my full time job thinking the Christmas break would leave me feeling refreshed. But it didn't. By mid February this year I had about 10 weeks off (where I slept up to 20 hours a week) and then did a phased return to work. But by the time I was back up to full time I was taking days off during the week sick. I literally slept and worked. Would get home from work. Sleep. Get up. Eat. Sleep. Get up and go to work. And repeat. Including sleeping at work!

I ended up having to leave my job at the end of August.

I now don't work because I am not well enough. So I am trying to focus on my physical and mental wellbeing. Doing very gentle walks and yoga a couple of times a week. I also have a lot of days where I still can't get out of bed. Im waiting for my referral to the CFS ME clinic to go through at the moment so I'm in limbo at the moment. I get pretty bad pain as well (fybromyalgia) so I take pain killers. Anyway. You are not alone :)

Must have been really hard for you! Running down one thing but when it affects your job/security that's really rough! Not to mention the pain!

So many people struggling is awful

I'm 28. One of my dreams is to complete the Western States 100. And it still is on the list!

I'm hoping to take it easy for a year or two and then gradually build up again. Sometimes I can managed a 2-3 mile plod. And I mean plod! Like 12 minute miles. But then I can't run for a week. But I love to run so much. That's why I have started walking instead :)

I miss my running club buddies. I moved to London to live with my partner after I left my job in August and the club was back in Southampton. I loved our winter cross country races on a Sunday followed by the pub and cake!

Maybe we should start a CFS plodding support group! It's priorities I guess. I don't have children. So my tiny bit of energy I get I want to spend on my feed. CFS has stolen so much from me. But I still have a working pair of legs! So I shall damn well use them! I'm a typical stubborn ultra runner!

Panda X

I am vegan too :)

BurnA

Hi Gary,

I was also an avid distance / ultra runner until I got hit with cfs/ME.

I was comfortably running 40-50 miles a week and could run a marathon comfortably. A week before a marathon I felt a bit ill. By the end of the week I couldn't get out of bed! Since then I have managed to push myself to do one marathon as I'd already gained entry (New York) but it was hell. I forced myself to do one long run every two weeks 6 weeks prior to the race (I hadn't been running since I got ill so had been out for about a year but I think my overall running conditioning was still there somewhat). I then had to say goodbye to it all. It's so frustrating having been so active and having a live for running and getting this illness. Now I'm just happy if I make it out for a gentle walk round the block! Just wanted to let you know your not alone really - and I had a similar experience to you.

Panda X

Hi Panda, (&Gary)
just wondering, did you train during your initial illness ( before the marathon ) ?

Also, did you or any of your running mates come across this disease before - just trying to guage if it's common in endurance athletes.

Thanks

I alw

My plan was the Spartan ultra in Greece. I'm still not 100% sure it's CFS yet. I'm hoping that my white bloods were low because of a virus and I continued training through it until I crashed. Then keep trying to run without real recovery and crashing again! But maybe it's me being stubborn and in denial (I don't know) ........but I'm taking everything steady and see how it develops!

There seems to be a lot of sporty people with these symptoms! Seems strange to me?

Love your determination btw and yes club support is important as well. Can't believe how much time I spent running!!

I alw

My plan was the Spartan ultra in Greece. I'm still not 100% sure it's CFS yet. I'm hoping that my white bloods were low because of a virus and I continued training through it until I crashed. Then keep trying to run without real recovery and crashing again! But maybe it's me being stubborn and in denial (I don't know) ........but I'm taking everything steady and see how it develops!

There seems to be a lot of sporty people with these symptoms! Seems strange to me?

Love your determination btw and yes club support is important as well. Can't believe how much time I spent running!!

I do wonder. Maybe endurance sports compromise people who already have (even if Unknown) compromised immune systems?

I have had bouts of fatigue and pain pre the big crash which would last a couple of months. But then I'd be ok again. These boots happened from my teenage years onwards. However if my endurance training caused it surely it would have eliveated over the last year that I haven't run (bar the one mad marathon).

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I do wonder. Maybe endurance sports compromise people who already have (even if Unknown) compromised immune systems?

I have had bouts of fatigue and pain pre the big crash which would last a couple of months. But then I'd be ok again. These boots happened from my teenage years onwards. However if my endurance training caused it surely it would have eliveated over the last year that I haven't run (bar the one mad marathon).
It's common to have 'hints' of CFS/ME in the years - even decades - before the full-blown illness appears.

Hi Panda, (&Gary)
just wondering, did you train during your initial illness ( before the marathon ) ?

Also, did you or any of your running mates come across this disease before - just trying to guage if it's common in endurance athletes.

Thanks
I trained until I suddenly got very sick. I tried to continue when I didn't realise how bad it was but soon had to put an end to it.

When I did the NYC marathon I basically panic trained. I did 3-4 long runs and walked before the race. Each long run would put me out for the rest of the week so id do one each two week / 10 days.

I think because I had years of ultra running conditioning under my belt from before I got ill, it did me a favour. And I walked a lot of New York too. It wasn't a clever thing to do. But I already had won entry and paid for flights. And it was like my fair well to running. I needed to do it for me.

Yes I trained right through. The initial 3 day slump I rested (I couldn't run) then raced 20 miles plus normal training then 2 weeks feeling pants then raced a marathon and a 10k then got injured and switch to cycling (hard/fast) then running and cycling (had good and bad days) then a 2 week crash back to running for 2 weeks and another crash which is where I'm at now with a 5 week rest went to gym today and ran twice 26/27th ....feeling ok at the moment (throat still sore) ......during all this time it was a case of run/ride then sleep and each day it was a bit harder to do the speed/distance so performance declined.

Another keen runner got diagnosed ME but he had a faking out with the club so I'm not sure how he is now but I believe he runs still and has good/bad days ....I've tried to contact him through a friend so hope he'll give me a call.

One other had the fatigue/drained and decline in performance after London as well. His dr has said its a thyroid problem and 6 weeks of drugs and gentle running will cure him.

As my throat is always sore thyroid was my thinking for me as well....but the rest came back normal.

Lastly a lady runner. She's been complaining of fatigue as well and misses months of training and suffers depression. But she's on a high at the moment and is running great. But she will hit a down again soon. Which is a shame.

I just thought of another a young guy 21 and a triathlete has ME ....he still trains and competes and I believe has good/bad days and never reaches his full potential. He did say his isn't a severe case but it was why he took up triathlons to push himself (his words)

I'll ask around see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Last edited:
It's common to have 'hints' of CFS/ME in the years - even decades - before the full-blown illness appears.

Years ago (I had a physical job) plus running/cycling I always needed lots of sleep (but that could be normal) I started to have mood swings years ago and also suffered frequent urination. But that could be normal to?

@littlerunningman I have depression too as part of my BPD, but I know the difference between having no umph to get out of bed and being so fatigued and drained that you can't get out of bed. For many years the doctors blamed my periods of fatigue and pain on my mental health which was not very helpful! However I understand that they need to rule it out. It wasn't until my mental health was a bit more stable and I'd been in therapy (when i then got my bad hit of CFS last november which I have not recovered from at all) that they could rule out depression.

Also @littlerunningman - I get the sore throat thing too. My glands flare up a lot and I often get a soar throat with it. More often it is just very swollen glands though. I also have fybromyalgia so I have a lot of muscle weakness / pain / can be sensitive to touch / noise / light.

See I feel improved for resting 5 weeks and like I said I've ran a couple of short easy runs and still feel fine!

Only if I continue to run until I crash again or continue to be fine will I know for sure

But my throat is still sore (my marker) unless the throat is something totally different and not connected to the fatigue!

Also @littlerunningman - I get the sore throat thing too. My glands flare up a lot and I often get a soar throat with it. More often it is just very swollen glands though. I also have fybromyalgia so I have a lot of muscle weakness / pain / can be sensitive to touch / noise / light.

My throat is sore and glands feel swollen but when the dr checks he says they look and feel fine! Which is confusing!

I only went to the dr because of a advert about food sticking when you swollow and cancer. I originally thought it was throat cancer and the fatigue was due to that. Though obviously it wasn't. But that's what made me seek help!
@littlerunningman I have depression too as part of my BPD, but I know the difference between having no umph to get out of bed and being so fatigued and drained that you can't get out of bed. For many years the doctors blamed my periods of fatigue and pain on my mental health which was not very helpful! However I understand that they need to rule it out. It wasn't until my mental health was a bit more stable and I'd been in therapy (when i then got my bad hit of CFS last november which I have not recovered from at all) that they could rule out depression.

Depression is also a terrible illness ....I only added that about my friend as that's what the dr told her. Though tbf she says she feels more shattered/tired than totally fatigued. But maybe she had OTS as she had a good rest period and has improved. I just hope it carries on and she doesn't crash again.

In no way did I mean to imply that you didn't have CFS ....I'm very new to this and am pretty clueless about the ins and outs of if all. Apologies if I upset you? X

@Little running man yeah see how you go. For many years before my big crash I would get a few months of fatigue and then I would be ok to ramp it up again.
I guess we all have different ideas of 'resting'. For me i need to be in bed a lot and I'm unable to work at the moment. However if I did go for a run I would really bloody feel it now. Partly because I am now out of shape and conditioning and partly because of the CFS/ME. I would feel dizzy, sick, like my legs and arms are made of led. It's a very unpleasant feeling.

Also no offence was taken :) Didn't even think of it! Please don't worry. I only joined the forum today too. So I am a fellow newbie.

It's sad that we get told to stay fit and exercise and when we do this happens to you! I find it annoying that after all the government literature about obesity when you are fit and need help because you're injured/ill then they are not interested. I really wish you could still run panda! It all seems such a shame. X