• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cfs not viral based treatment

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Eta, my thyroid and hormone levels also are good, so I'm not even sure what type of treatment to look

Many drs can say your hormones are within normal range, not necessarily optimal. One example is dhea, optimal is when its in the upper third of the normal range and similar with cortisol . Its possible that dhea and cortisol are in the low end of normal and it can effect your energy levels yet your dr can say they are fine. Its just something worth looking into and maybe try optimum hormone levels.

How long did you take this antiviral for? Valtrex (valacyclovir) tends to take 3 or 4 months before any benefits even begin to appear, and then takes around 2 years treatment for the full benefits to manifest. Dr Lerner's protocol is 1000 mg taken 4 times daily, though Prof Montoya uses lower doses.
Wow--thank you. I'm on 1000 mg once a day. Thankfully, it seems to be helping.

Question: you say, Hip, that it takes 2 years of treatment? Does that mean staying on valacyclovir the entire time? Where can I find these protocols, to present to my starting-to-accept-the-idea doctor?

I take high--prescription strength--probiotics to counteract the tummy effects and gut effects, apparently successfully.

Hip

Question: you say, Hip, that it takes 2 years of treatment? Does that mean staying on valacyclovir the entire time?

Yes, it involves staying on Valtrex all the time. Dr Lerner used Valtrex 1000 mg four times daily, though other ME/CFS doctors use lower doses. Famvir can be used instead of Valtrex, and Famvir is better tolerated.

If you just have active EBV infection, and are taking Valtrex for it, then Dr Lerner's clinical trial showed you get major improvements after around 1 year. Whereas for Valcyte (which is used when patients have active HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus), then the improvements take a little longer, 1 to 2 years.

You can see a summary of Dr Lerner's clinical trial results in this post.