A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS/ME and Exercise

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cloud, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Cloud

Cloud Guest

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    They appear to say that IL6 is good if as a result of intense exercise but as pwME never engage in intense activity it's bad because without intense exercise it's an inflamitory which can cause muscle wasting amongst all the other wonderful side effects of inflamation in pwME.

Or have I got that wrong?

3. Cloud

Cloud Guest

Hey Wonko,

I understood it to say that the increased levels of IL6 and TNF in ME/CFS causes the development of more receptors for these cytokines, which may perpetuate the problem by encouraging an even greater release of IL6 and TNF, in particular, with exertion. But, I may need to read it more closely as well.

I have always favored the idea of "Cytokine Storm" being primary cause of my symptoms, especially PEM. I had never read about this idea of growing additional receptors to meet the need of the increased levels of cytokines. It just made a lot of sense to me. And it seems a logical direction for the pursuit of Tx ideas.

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    yep, definately time to read more stuff I think, anything that will give me more of a handle on whats going on exercise wise is useful

in theory if I read enough some of it may stick, I may even remember what was actually written as opposed to what I thought was lol

thanks for the info Cloud

5. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    so this would mean that exercise is also bad for MCS? cytokines are involved in that, too

See more popular forum discussions.