• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS: Inherited Virus Can Cause Cognitive Dysfunction and Fatigue

Bob

Dr. Ablashi found HHV6A strain in ME/CFS patients http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/ablashi.html

I think that might be referring to an old paper (2000), and if it is, it's got some details wrong.
http://www.journalofclinicalvirology.com/article/S1386-6532(99)00079-7/abstract

Contrary to what the article say, the study did not find variant 'A' HHV-6 in 70% of CFS patients.
The research paper says that 70% of HHV-6 isolates found in CFS patients were variant 'A'.
It don't think the abstract says how many viruses were isolated from CFS patients, but it doesn't look like it was a high proportion.

Nielk

Is it tue that the only way to test for the variants of HH V6 is through spinal tap?

Legendrew

Considering the high prevalence in the normal population I do often wonder why so much time is spent looking into the prevalence studies -the standard prevalence in adults for HHV6A ranges from 39-80% (HHV6B is near 100%!) so finding any significant increase for ME/CFS patients is unlikely. I think a better angle to approach this from is asking why the body starts to react to these viruses which have likely been latent in the body for years if not decades. Is it due to viral reactivation or is it the immune system simply over-reacting to latent viruses. I have a feeling it's the latter.

Sparrowhawk

Considering the high prevalence in the normal population I do often wonder why so much time is spent looking into the prevalence studies -the standard prevalence in adults for HHV6A ranges from 39-80% (HHV6B is near 100%!) so finding any significant increase for ME/CFS patients is unlikely. I think a better angle to approach this from is asking why the body starts to react to these viruses which have likely been latent in the body for years if not decades. Is it due to viral reactivation or is it the immune system simply over-reacting to latent viruses.
hear hear!
Great question! That then gets to at least two directions of inquiry: precipitating triggers/influencers/perpetuating factors on the one hand, and as important: how to discern, then address and correct or ameliorate the immune response dysfunction (of whatever subclass one may be).