1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS: Inherited Virus Can Cause Cognitive Dysfunction and Fatigue

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I think that might be referring to an old paper (2000), and if it is, it's got some details wrong.
    http://www.journalofclinicalvirology.com/article/S1386-6532(99)00079-7/abstract

Contrary to what the article say, the study did not find variant 'A' HHV-6 in 70% of CFS patients.
    The research paper says that 70% of HHV-6 isolates found in CFS patients were variant 'A'.
    It don't think the abstract says how many viruses were isolated from CFS patients, but it doesn't look like it was a high proportion.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Is it tue that the only way to test for the variants of HH V6 is through spinal tap?
  4. Legendrew

Legendrew Content team

UK
    Considering the high prevalence in the normal population I do often wonder why so much time is spent looking into the prevalence studies -the standard prevalence in adults for HHV6A ranges from 39-80% (HHV6B is near 100%!) so finding any significant increase for ME/CFS patients is unlikely. I think a better angle to approach this from is asking why the body starts to react to these viruses which have likely been latent in the body for years if not decades. Is it due to viral reactivation or is it the immune system simply over-reacting to latent viruses. I have a feeling it's the latter.
    rosie26 and Sparrowhawk like this.
  5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    hear hear!
    Great question! That then gets to at least two directions of inquiry: precipitating triggers/influencers/perpetuating factors on the one hand, and as important: how to discern, then address and correct or ameliorate the immune response dysfunction (of whatever subclass one may be).

See more popular forum discussions.