Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS in women assessed with combined cardiac MRI

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Effi, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12471-016-0885-8

Chronic fatigue syndrome in women assessed with combined cardiac magnetic resonance imaging

M. A. G. M. Olimulder, M. A. Galjee, L. J. Wagenaar, J. van Es, J. van der Palen, F. C. Visser, R. C. W. Vermeulen, C. von Birgelen

Open AccessOriginal article
    First Online: 25 August 2016
    DOI: 10.1007/s12471-016-0885-8

ahimsa, Hutan, Sidereal and 2 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    To repost a previous post:

A small LV size is getting a few mentions now.

Miwa study
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27401397

"The echocardiographic examination revealed that the mean values for the left ventricular end-diastolic diameters, stroke volume index, and cardiac index as well as the mean blood pressure were all significantly smaller in the ME group than in the Controls."

Here's Miwa's previous study:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-myalgic-encephalomyelitis.29740/#post-454396

" In conclusion, a small LV size with a low cardiac output was common in ME patients, in whom OI was extremely common. Cardiac dysfunction with a small heart appears to be related to the symptoms of ME."

And Cort Johnson mentions Newton's study here:

http://www.healthrising.org/blog/2016/06/27/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-small-heart-disease/

" The big clue to all this appears to be the reduced left ventricle mass. If ME/CFS patients were deconditioned their entire heart should be smaller but only the left ventricle is. The left ventricle is where blood from the veins enters the heart. If blood flows to the LV are reduced the LV is going to be smaller simply because it’s not working out as much."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I new I had seen that somewhere, but couldn't remember where. Thanks @John Mac!

BTW, Dr Visser is a cardiologist lots of Dutch PWME go to. If I remember correctly Dr Vermeulen is at the CFS centre in Amsterdam. So they have a lot of experience actually treating patients, not just researching the illness.

4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I wonder if these abnormalities correlate with severity of orthostatic intolerance.

Hutan likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is a supine study. I really wish they didn't do that. The heart ejection fraction would likely be much less if the patients were standing instead of lying, as we frequently fail to compensate. Having said that its another step to confirm cardiac irregularities are common in us.

ahimsa, Marky90, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I suspect if the study was done with standing patients it might.

Marky90 and Hutan like this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I realise it's supine but I wonder if the worse the ejection fraction and cardiac output, the worse the OI. Would be worthwhile repeating this study with a tilt table component.

Groggy Doggy, Hutan and Dolphin like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Hutan likes this.
  9. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Interesting. For what it's worth, I had cardiac fibrosis on an echo but I've never used SSRIs or other psych meds. The cardiologist said it may indicate past viral infection of the heart muscle.

ahimsa, Effi and Hutan like this.

See more popular forum discussions.