1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS, FM, and related illnesses: a clinical model of assessment and intervention.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, Mar 21, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

J Clin Psychol. 2010 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]

Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and related illnesses: a clinical model of assessment and intervention.

(if: It would be interesting to see the full article. For those who don't know, I think Dr F Friedberg is still the president of the IACFSME. My spacing and bolds.)

Friedberg F.

Stony Brook University.

A clinically informative behavioral literature on chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM) has emerged over the past decade. The purpose of this article is to

(a) define these conditions and their less severe counterparts, i.e., unexplained chronic fatigue (UCF) and chronic widespread pain;

(b) briefly review the behavioral theory and intervention literature on CFS and FM; and

(c) describe a user-friendly clinical model of assessment and intervention for these illnesses. The assessments described will facilitate understanding of the somewhat unusual and puzzling somatic presentations that characterize these patients.

Using an individualized cognitive-behavioral approach the mental health clinician can offer significant help to these often stigmatized and medically underserved patients.

(c) 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Clin Psychol 66:1-25, 2010.

PMID: 20186721 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I like some of his analyses and criticisms e.g. not everyone is underactive.

But at the same time, there is no mention of viruses or infections in the whole piece including here (not even in the triggering factors!):

He believes if you are in the 1/4 who are less active, you should simply do more. I don't think it is a simple as that at all. He has pushed this line before.

-----------
    Here are two examples of the sort of analysis/review of the literature in it that I find interesting:

See more popular forum discussions.