• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/Crohns/Coeliac C766T ++ but can feel well with folic acid?! How big a deal is MTHFR?

Sea

Recent research indicates folic acid is poisonous for everyone at more than minisicule doses.
Do you have any links for that Alex?

@taniaaust1 yes it is very likely that your MTHFR mutation contributed to your daughter's condition. That mutation results in a greater need for folate. That has been well established in the research. It is also very likely that folic acid is not suitable for you - but that doesn't necessarily mean it is because of the MTHFR mutation. That's the jump that is popular but that I cannot find evidence for.

Last edited:

alex3619

Do you have any links for that Alex?
There are links in various threads on this forum, I do not have any handy. This is considered a controversial topic, but the evidence is both biochemical (measurement of blood levels) and epidemiological. If I recall correctly, folic acid is linked to cancer, low NK cell function and dementia in older people. We have some evidence in ME and CFS research of both low NK function and decreased cognitive function.

Natural folate is an entirely different thing. We also know that natural folate protects the DNA. The benefits of folic acid are because its converted to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, but this conversion is really really slow. Sustained release folic acid, if such a thing exists, might get around some of the issues.