• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS: comparing outcomes in White British and Black and minority ethnic patients

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

Coyne follows Geraghty, as does Tuller, so I'm hoping they both get to see it. Coyne is active in my mornings and evenings, so I guess he is sleeping now.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

Coyne follows Geraghty, as does Tuller, so I'm hoping they both get to see it. Coyne is active in my mornings and evenings, so I guess he is sleeping now.

Coyne is in Belfast Ireland for the next couple of days, so his sleep/activity schedule may not be the usual one. I forget whether he's based in Amsterdam or Pennsylvania (USA) at the moment. I'm not even sure where I am at the moment.

I can't wait to see what Coyne does to this study once he sees it. Obviously, Trudie Chalder can't be content with annoying just one oppressed group of people, but now she's going for two oppressed groups of people, all at the same time. It's a two-fer, a two-fer, for f***s sake!

Must be something you learn to do if you're a clever British psychiatrist.

Feel free to tweet the italicized stuff (or not). I'm done.

Next studies: comparing gay to non-gay CFS/ME patients; teen moms to other moms with CFS/ME

Now I'm done.

Last edited:
They will try to defend this kind of paper by pointing out there is a hypothetical social angle in their theory of CFS, and they were exploring the social impacts on therapeutic effectiveness.

Another study worthy of the little round filing cabinet with the open top they put on the floors.

To be fair, I bet most of them have never met a 'well meaning' person with more social and economic power telling them how if they just changed their destructive thinking and behaviors, all their problems would go away. :bang-head:

leela

Honestly, none of their peers have told them they are insane? People fund/publish this demented "research"?
Someone needs to send them a telegram letting them know 2016 is calling and it's time to toss their racist, classist, psycho bullshit
into their coal bin along with whatever blinders they are wearing, and suggest maybe their corsets are cutting off blood supply to their brains.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarah darwins

You're not supposed to point out their utter worthlessness, because the supposedly egalitarian intentions driving such studies are in themselves noble enough to make the whole caper worthwhile.

Nicely put. And the road to hell is definitely paved with such intentions.

I'm getting the sense that in this branch of psychology there is an unspoken concept of an ideal human. I'm not sure practitioners are even consciously aware of it but it's there, lurking in the background of so much biopsychosocial research. And that's a concept with a very, very nasty corollary.

alex3619

Its looking very much like some factions within the BPS movement are heading toward becoming mainstream Dianetics, the theory behind Scientology. People are perfect until psychology, society or biology damages them. But the mind is the master controller, and so we can fix that.

Pay us your money.

BIBO.

I'm getting the sense that in this branch of psychology there is an unspoken concept of an ideal human.

user9876

In case people haven't noticed there is a graph in the supplement which includes mean scores. It looks like in general they persuaded people to change two answers on the sf36 scale with intensive telling them how to see their symptoms differently.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/bjprcpsych/suppl/2016/01/25/bjp.bp.115.169300.DC1/ds169300.pdf

Also notice that one of the authors is the editor of the journal

K.B. is Editor of the British Journal of Psychiatry; he was not involved in the decision to publish this paper.

Dolphin

Is it possible to find out who funded this?
Funding
T.C. receives salary support from the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Mental Health Biomedical Research Centre at South London and Maudsley National Health Service Foundation Trust and King’s College London. The views expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the NHS, or the NIHR.

Dolphin

They have a percentage working at baseline and the average hours worked (which I think may be for those who are working).

For all the other items they measure at baseline, they also have the scores following therapy.

This makes me think there is a good chance they also asked people about whether they were working following therapy and the amount of hours worked (but they haven't published it).