Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS at British Association For Behavioural And Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) conference 2016

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, May 23, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

BRITISH ASSOCIATION FOR BEHAVIOURAL AND COGNITIVE PSYCHOTHERAPIES
    Belfast
    The Waterfront Conference Centre
    15th-17th June 2016
    44th Annual Conference

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

http://www.babcpconference.com/programme/keynotes_2016.htm

Trudie Chalder, King’s College London

Chronic fatigue syndrome: the trials and tribulations of outcome studies

Sea, barbc56, Simon and 4 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Symposium 6 – Behavioural Medicine and Child and Adolescent – Meeting Room 2B

Understanding and treating co-morbid fatigue, somatic symptoms, sleep and distress

in young people

09.50 The overlap between chronic fatigue syndrome and mood disorders

Keynote Addresses 11.30-12.30

Chronic fatigue syndrome: the trials and tribulations of outcome studies

Chair: Maria Loades, University of Bath

Hall 1D

Symposium 13 – Behavioural Medicine – Meeting Room 2A

Adults with Medically Unexplained Symptoms

Chair: Trudie Chalder, King’s College London

13.30 Teaching GPs cognitive and behavioural skills: General knowledge and confidence

Meenal Patel and Trudie Chalder, Kings College London

14.00 A Transdiagnostic approach to persistent physical symptoms: The description of a trial

protocol and intervention

David McCormack, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust

14.30 Health anxiety in CFS/ME: mutual maintenance?

Jo Daniels, University of Bath

15.00 The long term follow-up of the PACE trial: CBT and GET in CFS/ME patients

Other CFS:

Symposium 6 – Behavioural Medicine and Child and Adolescent – Meeting Room 2B

Understanding and treating co-morbid fatigue, somatic symptoms, sleep and distress

in young people

09.25 Mood in paediatric CFS/ME - what we know and what have yet to establish

Maria Loades, University of Bath

10.15 Psychological Factors in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Similarities & Differences

Hazel Carrick and Maria Loades, University of Bath

3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

If she really thinks fatigue is a continuum with fatigue at one end and CFS the other, then she does not know what CFS is.

Or, she is peddling something altogether different.

This strikes me as a fairly pedestrian error.

ryan31337, panckage, ukxmrv and 14 others like this.
  4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    OH MY what an opportunity to ask for biomedical research and make them jump over shoes (the millions missing protest)! one can dream of the opportunities.,

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    What in heavens name it 'meditational analysis'? (last line of quote in post #1)

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I was about to say the same thing. She is speaking nonsense. Its a category mistake.

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

She mean this paper on mediation:
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(14)00069-8/abstract

If something 'mediates' a treatment effect, that means that it plays a role in making the treatment effective.

Ben Howell, Simon and JaimeS like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    So it's a typo then, I'm aware of mediation.

Ben Howell and Esther12 like this.
  9. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I will defer to @JaimeS for this, but while one can talk about "over 25 years of research", or "about 25 years of research", I'm unclear as to whether anyone can have "over about 25 years of research..."

I'm thinking we can offer to subcontract our editing services to this psych association.

If we land that gig, I think we should throw in for free the press release announcing Phoenix Rising's role.

justy, BurnA and Mrs Sowester like this.
  10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Good lord. Someone thinks that meditation is the same thing as mediation (not YOU, @Snowdrop!)

They've leapt OVER about 25 years of research to be where they are today!

But seriously, folks, I'll be here all week.

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS, there is also a subject-verb agreement problem in that same sentence.

...need a good editor, but writing does require logical thinking skills. And I'll only offer my services if I get free rein regarding... 'tone'.

-J

Luther Blissett, justy, BurnA and 7 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

*sigh*

12. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

If the intent is to use the long term follow up to say how the treatments work then the honest interpretation would be to say they don't work in the long term.

Comet, Dolphin, Ben Howell and 5 others like this.
  13. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

It seems to, very cleverly imply, that all that CFS is fatigue and, in 75% of cases a mood disorder. Perhaps this should be taken as conclusive evidence that the CFS they refer to is something other than ME.

Comet, Sean, duncan and 3 others like this.
  14. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  15. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    My word processing programme's Autocorrect feature has an option, after Spelling and Grammar, marked 'Tell the Truth?' I ran that Chalder intro through it and it came out as:

16. Chipmunk
    yeah....it's like phrenologists claiming that you know, brain cancer pushes out the skull thus proving their "science" is correct!

lunatics running the asylum :p

17. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I would love to hear that lecture. I especially want to hear how they work according to long-term follow-up, given that CBT/GET groups did no better than 'control' groups.

Not to mention the mediation analysis. The authors claimed a causal relationship between changs in attitudes etc and fatigue/function; they said the claim was strenghened because the changes in attitudes happened before the change in outcomes, but this isn't true - they were able to claim that in their paper because they left out the data showing that actually (self-reported) outcomes changed at the same time at attitudes. Perhaps attitudes were changing simply because fatigue/function was improving and there was no causal relationship:
    Omission of data weakens the case for causal mediation in the PACE Trial - The Lancet Psychiatry

18. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Since Tuller's investigation came out Trudy Chalder and Peter White keep using this phrase 'Trials and Tribulations' in their presentations.

What does it mean? - It means:
    • unhappiness, pain, or suffering: an experience that causes someone to suffer
    • troubles and events that cause suffering
    • tests of one's patience and endurance
    Hey Trudy Chalder now perceives that she is unhappy and in pain and suffering from the PACE trial. I thinks she is trying to get sympathy vote from her peers now that the 'science' for the PACE trial has been proven to be a fraud. Well then lets send this for Trudy to the Belfast conference for the conference dinner.

upload_2016-5-24_12-24-23.jpeg

Well at least Trudy Chalder can share some of the suffering that we have to endure from her and her ilk for forcing CBT on us and denying proper treatments.

I think poor little Trudy just has 'False Illness Beliefs' that she is suffering from and well she can try a little CBT on herself to cure herself.

If this is genuine given her unhappiness and suffering then why is she is enduring with it all and continuously speaking at conferences pushing a flawed and dangerous treatment when the PACE trial has been shown to be a fraud??

Oh forgot... about her lucrative insurance consultancy work that she does and the ££££££ and $$$$$$$ must help with all the trials and tribulations!!

19. Ben Howell

Ben Howell OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Thing is, 'meditational analysis' could very well be one of these bizarre made up terms that the psych journals seem to be littered with. They have a habit of using words which no one, even themselves, have a clue what they mean. Science without the science. It would be funny if the consequences wern't so tragic.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  20. Keith Geraghty

Keith Geraghty Senior Member

....its a statistical method to show the influence of one variable on another - ie x might cause y - but there may be a z variable on the causal pathway: if you enhance z and show and effect on y you partly show some influence --- Prof Chadler uses this method to try validate the CBT model of CFS - which is basically that beliefs impact behaviours -

Its some of the most outlandish science in terms of what variables you want to stick into your model to show some realtionship - but one thing you cant get over is that this method does not demonstrate causality - there may be more variables or confounders the p, q, r, s, t, variables you havent looked at --- so it doesnt prove anything.

this is an extract form a paper Ive recently submitted

"Researchers have sought to validate the CBT model for CFS using mediation analysis, a statistical method to test how a mediating variable transmits the effect of an independent variable onto a dependent variable: Stahl et al. (2014) sought to validate CBT’s efficacy by testing the role of “fearful cognitions” as a mediator between avoidance behaviour and illness outcomes (e.g. fatigue) in CFS. However mediation analysis is a correlation test, which does not prove causality (MacKinnon et al., 2007) and Stahl et al. concede that the positive effects that they observed from CBT in CFS could have been brought about by other factors and other possible treatments, not just CBT, and that the exact impact of CBT on cognitive processes remains unclear."

See more popular forum discussions.