1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFS 5 years after giardiasis: differential diagnoses, characteristics and natural course

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by WillowJ, Feb 14, 2013.

1. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Chronic fatigue syndrome 5 years after giardiasis: differential diagnoses, characteristics and natural course

Kristine Mørch, Kurt Hanevik, Ann C Rivenes, Jørn E Bødtker, Halvor Næss, Bjarte Stubhaug, Knut-Arne Wensaas, Guri Rortveit, Geir E Eide, Trygve Hausken and Nina Langeland

BMC Gastroenterology 2013, 13:28 doi:10.1186/1471-230X-13-28
    Published: 12 February 2013

The complete article is available as a provisional PDF. The fully formatted PDF and HTML versions are in production.

Simon, Valentijn and Firestormm like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    If
    then I suspect it was just that - chronic fatigue, not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have not heard of many people spontaneously getting better. But then, those people might not be online looking for ways to speed up their improvement.

3. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    This really interests me, because I had giardiasis in '89, got mono in '90 and full-blown CFS in '94.

4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Fatigue score at 3 years : "Recovered from fatigue" - Mean, range (SD): 18, 15–22 (1.86).

Those fatigue scores are a little high to be normal? See this older post by Dolphin on normative data for CFQ:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...d-pace-trial-protocol.3928/page-53#post-88401

Perhaps the keyword here is "no longer had fatigue affecting normal life"?

Valentijn and WillowJ like this.
  5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Interesting. Thanks for posting. My article on zoonoses mentions this outbreak and the earlier study. I would have referenced this study too had it been published a few days earlier.

The Giardia also caused IBS in a lot of patients which of course is often co-morbid with CFS.

WillowJ likes this.
  6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA

these are all kinds of patients - you can see from the abstract that uncategorized post-viral fatigue, ICF, and CFS are mentioned, as well as 'recovered' patients. It is well known that from uncategorized fatigue after virus, more will have greater improvement earlier on (it is unclear to me whether some recover fully? or some recover to fairly normal life with some symptoms but carry a danger of relapse).

I thought the recovery from general-fatigue-after-infection category was interesting to compare with recovery claims from various therapies, as they sometimes use/include patients who have not been ill for very long.

Simon, snowathlete and Valentijn like this.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    These people, when the outbreak originally occurred, knowing the cause of their illness, all had treatment for it with metronidazole too, so their chances of getting better would have been greater than others (some of us perhaps) who may have the same cause but not know it.

WillowJ and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.