• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFIDS, cellular metabolism, and ionizing radiation: A review of contemporary scientific literature

Countrygirl

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29297728

Int J Radiat Biol. 2018 Jan 3:1-63. doi: 10.1080/09553002.2018.1422871. [Epub ahead of print]
Chronic Fatigue and Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS), cellular metabolism, and ionizing radiation: A review of contemporary scientific literature and suggested directions for future research.
Rusin A1, Seymour C2, Mothersill C3.
Author information

Abstract
PURPOSE:
To investigate biochemical pathways known to be involved in radiation response and in CFIDS to determine if there might be common underlying mechanisms leading to symptoms experienced by those accidentally or deliberately exposed to radiation and those suffering from CFIDS. If such a link were established, to suggest testable hypotheses to investigate the mechanisms with the aim of identifying new therapeutic targets.

CONCLUSIONS:
Evidence for involvement of the alpha-synuclein, cytochrome c oxidiase, αB-crystallin, RNase L, and lactate dehydrogenase/STAT1 pathways is strong and suggests a common underlying mechanism involving mitochondrial dysfunction mediated by ROS and disruption of ATP production. The downstream effect of this is compromised energy production. Testable hypotheses are suggested to investigate the involvement of these pathways further.

KEYWORDS:
Atomic Veterans; Bystander effects of radiation; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Post-Radiation Syndrome; Reactive oxygen species (ROS)

PMID:

DOI:

10.1080/09553002.2018.1422871

I read the whole paper and not just the little extract in the link above.

I think the reason no one likes discussing radiation from atomic power as a possible cause for this illness is:
1. People think there should be large visible epidemics of CFIDS or ME around nuclear power stations and in places like Chenobyl.

It could be that low dose radiation around power stations could be a risk factor for CFIDS/ME like cigarette smoke is for lung cancer..., in that smoking does not effect everyone in the same way. Some people who smoke live long healthy lives. It took till the late 1940's and 50's to discover that smoking cause lung cancer, not just because everyone smoked , but because you have to document large numbers with statistics before you see correlation and then causation.

It could also be that there are epidemics of CFS around Mayak or Hanford nuclear plants. In this paper by Mothersill there is a quoted figure of over 60% of chenobyl liquidators getting the symptoms of CFIDS or ME. There is also a statistical increase of autoimmune diseases around nuclear plants that don't get talked about much.

The other reasons no one likes discussing radiation as a possible cause is:
2. No one knows the treatment.
3. It's a bloody scary concept.

I read up about HBOT being a treatment for radiation induced damage organs. On that basis and the fact it is supposed to dampen down inflammation generally, I have decided to try it.

Of course radiation might not have anything to do with this illness.....I think discussing it is as relevent as discussing toxic mold as a cause of ME. That was ignored at first too. Now there are whole forums of People with CFS trying mold avoidance.

I am not sure radiation is the cause...I would just like it discussed and ruled out so that I can figure out another way to get better .

Last edited: