• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFI Spinal Fluid study from Lipkin and Hornig is out.

aimossy

From Medical Express...
'Scientists find clues into cognitive dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome' http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-03-scientists-clues-cognitive-dysfunction-chronic.html

"Scientists at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health have identified a unique pattern of immune molecules in the cerebrospinal fluid of people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) that provides insights into the basis for cognitive dysfunction—frequently described by patients as "brain fog"—as well as new hope for improvements in diagnosis and treatment.

lg.php

In the study published in Molecular Psychiatry, Mady Hornig, MD, and colleagues used immunoassay testing methods to measure the levels of 51 immune biomarkers called cytokines in the cerebrospinal fluid of 32 people with ME/CFS for an average of seven years, 40 with multiple sclerosis, and 19 non-diseased controls. The researchers found that levels of most cytokines, including the inflammatory immune molecule, interleukin 1, were depressed in individuals with ME/CFS compared with the other two groups, matching what was seen in the blood study in patients who had the disease for more than three years. One cytokine—eotaxin—was elevated in the ME/CFS and MS groups, but not in the control group.

Read the rest HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

aimossy

"Abstract
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is an unexplained debilitating disorder that is frequently associated with cognitive and motor dysfunction. We analyzed cerebrospinal fluid from 32 cases, 40 subjects with multiple sclerosis and 19 normal subjects frequency-matched for age and sex using a 51-plex cytokine assay. Group-specific differences were found for the majority of analytes with an increase in cases of CCL11 (eotaxin), a chemokine involved in eosinophil recruitment. Network analysis revealed an inverse relationship between interleukin 1 receptor antagonist and colony-stimulating factor 1, colony-stimulating factor 2 and interleukin 17F, without effects on interleukin 1α or interleukin 1β, suggesting a disturbance in interleukin 1 signaling. Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity."

adreno

PR activist
CCL11 is a small cytokine belonging to the CC chemokine family. CCL11 selectively recruits eosinophils by inducing their chemotaxis, and therefore, is implicated in allergic responses.

Increased CCL11 levels in blood plasma are associated with aging in mice and humans. Additionally, it has been demonstrated that exposing young mice to CCL11 or the blood plasma of older mice decreases their neurogenesis and cognitive performance on behavioural tasks thought to be dependent on neurogenesis in the hippocampus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCL11

Kati

Patient in training
And reason #2458 for funding {name the disease here } at more than 5millions a year at NIH...
and reason #2459 for funding Lipkin even when he wants to research {name the disease here } but the reviewers didn't get his facts right...

A.B.

I can't wait to see the full study. I'm interested how CFS patients compare to MS patients.

Please do keep in mind that this is not replicated, and is not the same result as another recent spinal fluid study.

This one has more patients, controls, and patients with another chronic disease though (unless my memory fails me).

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
The researchers found that levels of most cytokines, including the inflammatory immune molecule, interleukin 1, were depressed in individuals with ME/CFS compared with the other two groups, matching what was seen in the blood study in patients who had the disease for more than three years. One cytokine—eotaxin—was elevated in the ME/CFS and MS groups, but not in the control group.

Does this say what I think it does, that they have provided more evidence that the two age differentiated groups found in the blood study might have the same pathogenesis