Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CFI Spinal Fluid study from Lipkin and Hornig is out.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by aimossy, Mar 31, 2015.

1. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

From Medical Express...
    'Scientists find clues into cognitive dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome' http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-03-scientists-clues-cognitive-dysfunction-chronic.html

"Scientists at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health have identified a unique pattern of immune molecules in the cerebrospinal fluid of people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) that provides insights into the basis for cognitive dysfunction—frequently described by patients as "brain fog"—as well as new hope for improvements in diagnosis and treatment.

[​IMG]
    In the study published in Molecular Psychiatry, Mady Hornig, MD, and colleagues used immunoassay testing methods to measure the levels of 51 immune biomarkers called cytokines in the cerebrospinal fluid of 32 people with ME/CFS for an average of seven years, 40 with multiple sclerosis, and 19 non-diseased controls. The researchers found that levels of most cytokines, including the inflammatory immune molecule, interleukin 1, were depressed in individuals with ME/CFS compared with the other two groups, matching what was seen in the blood study in patients who had the disease for more than three years. One cytokine—eotaxin—was elevated in the ME/CFS and MS groups, but not in the control group.

Read the rest HERE.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
    angee111, PennyIA, Eeyore and 52 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

"Abstract
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome is an unexplained debilitating disorder that is frequently associated with cognitive and motor dysfunction. We analyzed cerebrospinal fluid from 32 cases, 40 subjects with multiple sclerosis and 19 normal subjects frequency-matched for age and sex using a 51-plex cytokine assay. Group-specific differences were found for the majority of analytes with an increase in cases of CCL11 (eotaxin), a chemokine involved in eosinophil recruitment. Network analysis revealed an inverse relationship between interleukin 1 receptor antagonist and colony-stimulating factor 1, colony-stimulating factor 2 and interleukin 17F, without effects on interleukin 1α or interleukin 1β, suggesting a disturbance in interleukin 1 signaling. Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity."

Wally, August59, SDSue and 17 others like this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCL11

5. adreno

adreno PR activist

6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Congratulations to all the authors involved and warm thank you for believing that indeed something is wrong with us.
    :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    oceiv, PennyIA, MeSci and 28 others like this.
  7. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
    I should be sleeping, instead I'm crying ..

oceiv, GracieJ, August59 and 13 others like this.
  8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Not in our heads!!! Not in our heads! We never faked it!

Mel9, Alea Ishikawa, GracieJ and 15 others like this.
  9. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Lipkin and Hornig :star::star::star::star::star:

10. Kati

Kati Patient in training

And reason #2458 for funding {name the disease here } at more than 5millions a year at NIH...
    and reason #2459 for funding Lipkin even when he wants to research {name the disease here } but the reviewers didn't get his facts right...

simeyss, August59, SDSue and 10 others like this.
  11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Great to see articles about this disease finally making it into top journals instead of marginal journals no one reads. Molecular Psychiatry has the highest impact factor among psychiatry journals.

GracieJ, justy, August59 and 23 others like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Is it Christmas already? :)

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Please do keep in mind that this is not replicated, and is not the same result as another recent spinal fluid study.

August59, SpecialK82 and catly like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I can't wait to see the full study. I'm interested how CFS patients compare to MS patients.

This one has more patients, controls, and patients with another chronic disease though (unless my memory fails me).

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I am a licorice addict. I wonder if this is related, but then again most on my Father's side of the family are licorice addicts. Licorice tea is drunk by a few of us.

Tammy, Hanna, moosie and 1 other person like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Yes, this is an important improvement in the study design.

17. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

The immune modulator I use can do the first two.

ukxmrv likes this.
  18. adreno

adreno PR activist

Then it should reduce eotaxin as well.

19. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

:rofl:

20. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Mackay, Aust
    Does this say what I think it does, that they have provided more evidence that the two age differentiated groups found in the blood study might have the same pathogenesis

Jon_Tradicionali, NK17 and beaker like this.

See more popular forum discussions.