• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cervical Epidural anyone?

Misfit Toy

I am having a cervial epidural on Monday. Has anyone else had this? I have 2 herniated discs in my neck. You have light anesthesia I think, or something to float you. I am wondering what to expect.

IreneF

Lots of women in labor get epidurals, but much farther down the spine. I had two, but I was kind of busy at the time so I don't remember them very well. Just--painful because was an injection, then blessed numbness. No other anesthesia. Really not a big deal.

I imagine you are getting a steroid injected so you won't be going numb from the neck down.

Kati

Patient in training
I had an upper back epidural for post op pain management for my gallbladder. They should be able to explain what they are doing as they go. Remember to remain very still when that needle is in. (You will be frozen,for that. If you need to move while the needle is inside of you, you need to either wait or simply ask if it's ok to move. ) once the epidural cathethermis in place, they will remove the needle and they will start injecting the lidocaine. They may need to move you one side or another depending on where the freezing needs to go.

If you are sensitive to epinephrine you need to let them know not to use any.

Best wishes, i hope it helps your pain.