Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Century-old drug reverses autism-like symptoms in fragile X mouse model"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Wally, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Wally

Wally Senior Member

See, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150115163535.htm

2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    And further down in the article:
    Pretty interesting, thanks Wally!

Nielk, ahmo, catly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I don't really see how this is an 'autism' model, but anyway... (FMR1 knockout mice, is a model of Fragile-X syndrome, a common cause of mental retardation)

It says on Wikipedia, that Fragile X syndrome co-occurs with autism in about 5% of cases.

The drug they used was Suramin and they demonstrated that it reversed some of the downstream biochemical consequences of absence of FMR1 in mice and along with some reversal of behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suramin (has a worrying side effect profile...)

4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Significance of the findings discussed here http://www.nofone.org/#!significance-of-naviaux-2015-fragile-x/ctef

What is super exciting here is that they provoked exactly the same neurodevelopmental symptoms and impairments via two completely different upstream mechanisms, and then used the same treatment agent to succesfully reverse symptoms in both cases. Telling us that in order for the symptoms to emerge, something very similar happens to both sets of animals. That a single/similar biological pathway is messed up and causes surface symptoms, regardless of what upstream cause was there to start with, and that this single shared pathology can be potentially amended...

Published paper by Naviaux (there is a thread on it somewhere on this forum) laying out the theory of CDR

Metabolic features of the cell danger response

Dufresne, Wally, voner and 1 other person like this.
  5. voner

voner Senior Member

thanks Wally and natasa778. Here is a quote from the link provided by natasa778 that I took note of...

to put in the context of ME/CFS, here is a quote from @Jonathan Edwards in a post on PR I recently made (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/biomarkers-vs-clinical-diagnosis.34963/#post-546372)....

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The CDR came up in a thread some time last year. It kind of makes sense. It has the potential to be useful in ME. What is an issue though is that even relevant mouse models leading to successful mouse treatments fail on humans most of the time. We can view this as interesting, and promising, but need to be cautious. It is however something that we might like to keep in mind.

In particular it might be worth investigating the drug suramin.

It is interesting that I started taking resveratrol largely to act on a path involved in African sleeping sickness. I wonder if this is relevant?

natasa778 likes this.
  7. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Very Interesting although I thought the paper we were discussing last year was presented more as a philosophical than a scientific model and claims that the cell danger response was the cause of most human diseases just undermined its credibility.

But, there's some pretty sound and specific science underlying the general notion and I do feel there's a great deal of potential for a similar mechanism to play a central role in ASD and ME/CFS.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

9. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France

See more popular forum discussions.