• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CENTRAL CHILEAN Earthquake, 8.8...any members affected?

jackie

Due to a massive Central CHILEAN Eathquake 8.8, (Tsunami warnings have been issued for the Entire Pacific Coastline, including some areas of HAWAII, some areas of the California Coastline, some Coasts of Alaska and some Coastal areas of Australia. * see your local weather/news station for specific regions under warnings.)

If we have MEMBERS located in any of the Reagions affected (Chile, Hawaii in particular)...I ask that they let this "community" know, if possible...in the event that we may be able to help or offer assistance (communication, perhaps?). Asking for prayers/meditation etc. for the Chilean victims in the prayer thread. thanks...j

As an example: News service says that beaches in San Diego may see waves up to 11ft. by Sunday am (my own Harbor/Beach will get a whopping 2.5ft waves!)...again Tsunami's are a series of waves (moving to shores at intervals of 5 min. up to a hour)...so the advice is to stay off Beaches, out of Harbors etc.until warnings are lifted

jackie

anybody else watching this on the news?...just saw film of Waikiki Beach....with not a single person on the Beach...or in the WATER!? I hought we had members located in Hawaii? They still have phone service....the first Tsunami wave should hit in about 20min. (that's4pm ET)

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
OMG! Thanks Jackie! I check Phoenix before I check the news. I live one and a half miles from the ocean in Cali.
Going to check the news right now.

anne_likes_red

I have had a Tsunami warning...but we are on the edge of a harbour and protected from the North so it's unlikely to come to anything too bad where I am. We are very close to the water but will be moving inland for a school function in a short while.

Other places have been evacuated though.

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
We are doing OK here in the San Francisco area. We have a tsunami warning but it looks like everything will be smooth.
Only the beaches evacuated.

Glad the earthquake in Chile didn't harm as many people as in Haiti. Still very sad for those that lost friends and family.

T

thefreeprisoner

Yesterday morning my hub and I both panicked because 2 very dear friends of ours and their 2 lovely little boys live in Chile on the coast.
Turns out they were planning to go to Santiago for the weekend but called it off at the last minute. They are safe and well but having difficulty communicating because many of the lines are cut.
What a relief...

Rachel xx

JT1024

A guy I went to high school with posted an awesome link. He works for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Massachusetts USA. It is incredible...

Ever wonder how a tsunami travels all the way across the ocean? Our NOAA friends show us below. It reminds me of a dragon breathing fire. Thanks to my FB pal Lisa Strong-Aufhauser for pointing me to this link.
When we saw the destruction on shore, we were all sobered by the thought we had just traveled through some of t...hose places, including the Santiago airport and the port of Valparaiso. All of our Chilean colleagues on board have been in contact with their families and gotten good news.
We're back searching for hydrothermal vents...

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/chile/chileem.jpg

The axis are Lat and Lon and I believe the amplitude is centimeters above normal sea level near the coast. Dana Yoerger, who posted this, is on a research vessel offshore Chile.